What papers / docs / evidence will I need for initial discussion with solicitor

(4 Posts)
lifebeginsat42 Wed 24-Jun-15 12:28:32

I'm right at the beginning of this, but I know it will turn very ugly as my H has already threatened this when we've discussed splitting up before.

I plan to go and talk to a solicitor and get an idea of what I should be entitled to so that I have a clearer idea in my head so I can make plans and so that his threats have less power over me.

My question is what papers and documents would it be helpful to get together for the initial meeting. Is there anything I should hide or protect in case things turn very nasty?

Thanks.

ThomasRichard Wed 24-Jun-15 14:47:30

I'm sorry you're going through this; it sounds like you're well out of it though! Have you checked your tax credit and other state entitlements? www.entitledto.com is an independent calculation tool.

Aside from that, your solicitor will be able to give you the most accurate advice if you can give them:

- details of all bank accounts in joint or single names (including those in just your H's name), the type and current balance;

- details of all your current assets: property, stocks, shares, items worth over £1000, pensions.

- a detailed breakdown of your current spending.

lifebeginsat42 Wed 24-Jun-15 17:24:32

Thanks for the advice. I had no idea I'd be entitled to Child tax credit and council tax support so that's a real help.

I've started printing off bank statements etc today.

Do personal gifts (engagement ring and watch) count in items over £1000?

What about credit cards? He has 3 with large amounts on them. Basically he's using them to pay stuff on a failed business so nothing to do with me personally.

ThomasRichard Wed 24-Jun-15 18:52:16

That's good news smile

I'm not an expert but I'd say put everything in and then your solicitor can rule items out if needed. They can only give you advice based on the information you give them and it could cause expensive problems down the line if you hold something back now.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now