Talk

Advanced search

Can some one talk me through the divorce process, simple divorce?

(3 Posts)
Nevergoingtolearn Mon 22-Jun-15 16:05:53

Dh and I separated a couple months ago, he wants me to file for divorce ( but I have no idea how), as far as I can tell we do not need to involve solicitors, we don't own a home and we have agreed to split savings 50/50, we do have children but have arrange contact and they will live with me full time. We both want a divorce to draw a line under everything and finalise things.

I don't have much money, am claiming income support but am I right in thinking I can not get help with costs unless there was domestic violence involved? Dh was emotionally abusive but if I say this to get a divorce he is likely to refuse it. Am I right in thinking that a divorce will cost at least £410 ( court fees )? I am the one who left dh so would it be wrong to ask him to pay half?

How do I start the ball rolling? And how long will it take?

thelonggame Tue 23-Jun-15 11:00:24

have a look at
www.wikivorce.com/divorce/
this explains your options, you don't have to mention the EA, think up grounds for unreasonable behaviour that you can both agree to - can be as simple as your dh snores and so you can't sleep with him and that put a strain on the marriage.
A lot of solicitors will give you half an hour for free, that could be worth looking at. Make sure if you do that you have researched the process so you aren't wasting the time - and go with a list of questions specific to your divorce.

babybarrister Tue 23-Jun-15 14:07:02

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now