Advanced search

do you need solicitor to get a divorce?

(8 Posts)
myangle Tue 12-May-15 01:33:52


My neighbour has been separated from.her husband for quite some time but never signed the divorce paper. she doesn't have much money, and when I spoke to her, she has heard there is a fee service from a place near to the courts. But when she went to ask, it wasn't. I was wondering if she needs to go to the solicitor to sign divorce papers, or can she just go online and print of a generic Form and send off somewhere.

Apparently the husband is happy to go along with this and there is no need to split assets . The children have all grown up too.

any advice was be most appreciated.


FastWindow Tue 12-May-15 01:54:53

Yep, I did it all online. Was quite sad actually, how easy it was. There is a fee (can't remember, but it wasn't much, £100?) same thing, no contest etc.

You only need a solicitor if there is a disagreement. I assume your friend has a statement of separation from earlier.

babybarrister Tue 12-May-15 22:04:38

The divorce itself is very straightforward. It is the money on which your friend needs advice - is she sure that she does not want to claim on a pension even if there are no other assets? does she not own a house? Whose name is it in? Is there a tenancy? Whose name is this in? It is unlikely that there is nothing to deal with on the money side

myangle Wed 13-May-15 00:08:17

HI ladies,

Thanks for your message.

The house is hers and is in Her name. She is currentuly living there. Her husband does not have a pension.

that's all I know.

Is that okay to a get a simple divorce?

babybarrister Wed 13-May-15 17:35:11

No it is definitely not ok I am afraid. This is what happened to Vince Dale in Dale v Wyatt - he got the divorce, failed to sort out the money and a claim for money was made 20 years later. If your friend has the house it is in her interests to ensure that a financial order is made now so there can be no claims in the future

LotusLight Wed 13-May-15 18:01:37

Of course not okay. If she doesn't have a sealed consent order at any time in the future he can come after half the house even in 20 years time. It is absolutely vital they agree a final clean break now which says she keeps the house and that the court seal that by way of a court order. That is the problem that Eco millionaire had - he never had that done so decades later once he'd made millions his other half could come back for a huge slice.

Ah saw bb post - yes Vince Dale.
(Assuming England not Scotland here).

myangle Sat 16-May-15 18:38:24

Oh thanks. I didn't know anyone can do that. how horrible. Okay, I will tell her to go to the solicitors. thanks a lot.

myangle Sat 16-May-15 18:39:14

I hope you bratufiful ladies have a great weekend. Thanks again. smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now