Advanced search

Obtaining Maintenace from husband (now separated) living in Australia

(4 Posts)
sarahscarlet Thu 08-Jan-15 21:20:03

Hello All

I'm really hoping someone might be able to point me in the right direction. I moved to Australia with my now ex in 2012 and lived there for 2 years, we moved with our 2 year old and had another baby over there though unfortunately he turned into a not very nice person to put it mildly so we I said I wanted to come home, we were home (back in the UK) for a few weeks in March 2014 when we split up and he returned to Australia leaving me and my 2 daughters without an income and unable to claim benefits due to having been out of the country for so long. I've since got (almost) back on my feet and I'm now working and studying with my eldest having started school in Sept and my baby with a childminder. He's refusing to pay any maintenance and I have been in contact with a solicitor, REMO, citizens advice etc.

So it seems I need to get a court order in the UK and then REMO will take over and put that order through the Aussie courts (I think?) I can't afford the solicitor fees so will be doing this myself but I'm just not sure what actual form number I need - is it the C100 or a different one? The Magistrates court is very unhelpful, my solicitor is going to charge me £500 for any further questions and citizens advice gave me another organisation to call but they told me it would cost me £199 to find out more info. I'm pretty sure it's quite straightforward I just need to know I'm going to be filling in the right form! I will gladly post a box of chocolates to anyone who can point me in the right direction - I seem to be going around in circles with this!

Many thanks in advance and keeping toes and fingers crossed!

Rojak Fri 09-Jan-15 06:56:37

Not a lawyer or solicitor but just wondering if you had checked any Australian websites about maintenance and see if you can work back using information from that?

There are a few Australian-based mums who use this who may be able to signpost you to useful sites? Though they might frequent the Living Overseas board.

handywoman203 Mon 12-Jan-15 17:08:43

You ned to use REMO and they will guide you for free through the process. You can get a UK order or seek an order in the Australian courts via REMO. They will have a regional office.
REMO are slow but get it done and its free. Good luck!

Dimplesandall Thu 15-Jan-15 17:21:22

Can you not claim benefits 3 months after arrival back in uk?
Have a look at entitledto. Should help. Feel for you OP. Stay strong!

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: