Advanced search

Naming another party in divorce proceedings

(10 Posts)
FTS123 Mon 15-Dec-14 09:01:59

What happens if your ex names someone on the adultery divorce papers? Yes I did it, it's all my fault but I don't see why the other family should suffer too. Does the third party get a letter or anything. Just an answer please, I already know how awful I am! Thanks.

Madamecastafiore Mon 15-Dec-14 09:02:42

I don't think that happens anymore.

FTS123 Mon 15-Dec-14 09:08:14

What doesn't happen? You don't name someone or they don't get to hear about it?

arlagirl Mon 15-Dec-14 09:09:11

They get a letter from the court telling them they've been named, I think.

mostlysinging Mon 15-Dec-14 09:10:40

Had a discussion with a friend about this as she was looking forward to naming the third party but was told by her solicitor that you don't do that anymore just give it as a reason and then the other side fills in the time and date it happened.

Cabrinha Sun 21-Dec-14 18:25:04

You CAN do it. It's just that solicitor's advise not to bother as it adds complication and cost and is of no benefit.

The only benefit is that the party named gets a letter. Which their spouse (?) would be unlikely to see. A bigger risk is your ex telling the other person's family - which if it is a partner, they should, and tough luck for you.

He will be advised not to name, though.

Theredandthewhite Sun 21-Dec-14 18:29:36

You can but judges frown upon it apparently.

I didn't, just 'unnamed co-respondent'. It was enough for me that he was being divorced for adultery, at least he won't be able to lie to any future wives!

wheresthelight Sun 21-Dec-14 23:20:19

you can name the person (my ex tried to which is funny cos I didn't cheat) BUT they have to prove it with exact times and dates of the incidents which is why most solicitors tell you not to bother as proving it tends to be quite hard.

I believe the court still send a letter to the person named advising them they have been cited and gives them a chance to dispute it

Hobbitwife001 Wed 07-Jan-15 09:05:14

Yes, there is a box on the form from the court where you can name the co-respondent in a petition for adultery, but as another poster has said you have to give times and dates of when the adultery actually happened, and that's not really feasible. The co-respondent does get a copy of the form as well, it depends on whether your partner is going to push for an adultery petition or one for unreasonable behaviour which most solicitors favour, it doesn't
make any difference to the outcome, ( re financial settlement) anyway.

Stickyt0ffee Fri 09-Jan-15 13:12:38

I am just at the start of divorcing my ex. I have been advised not to name the third party as it is unnecessary and my ex will admit to the adultery anyway. If I did name the female then she would receive exactly the same copies as my ex. The only advantage of stating adultery to me (other than peace of mind) is I that I can request the £400ish court costs to be paid by my ex.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: