Talk

Advanced search

Ex Partner kept my passport and got daughter a passport with it

(8 Posts)
tweedlezee Fri 05-Dec-14 10:44:16

HELP!
I have been out of our family home for 1 year. Ex hid my passport when i left so i had to leave without it. I have since been trying to get it back but he proclaimed he didn't have it. I didn't cancel it as i knew where it was and didn't want to have to pay all over again. Ex has since used my passport without asking me. He has used it to get DD a passport. Is this illegal? He has just given it back to me with one month left on it.
Should i just let it go?
HELP!

MinceSpy Fri 05-Dec-14 10:50:39

Does your ex have parental responsibility and does he have a UK passport?

meditrina Fri 05-Dec-14 10:56:33

If he has PR, then he has not broken the law in applying for the passport. He may have included your passport number in the relevant box on the application form, but as passports can be issued when a number is unknown or a parent has never help one, this is not really an issue.

I have no idea if it's illegal to withhold someone's passport from them. From the verbiage in an actual passport, it seems it might be.

tweedlezee Fri 05-Dec-14 11:07:38

he has a uk passport. kids are with me most of the week. they're address for school and gp is with me.
Hmm,it's all part of a bigger picture of control and manipulation which is why it is so frustrating. But this is definitely the most (maybe) illegal thing he has done. Policed were called once before at address at family home.

TywysogesGymraeg Fri 05-Dec-14 11:10:38

I think it's a red herring OP. He wouldn't actually need your passport to apply for passports for the DCs. Just birth certificates, or something else to prove they are British.

The illegal part may be the withholding of your passport from you. Whether or not he then used it to apply for your kids' passports is irrelevant.

Why wouldn't you want them to have passports anyway? This way, at least he's paid for them - they aren't cheap!

tweedlezee Fri 05-Dec-14 11:12:30

It's fine having the passports, its a good thing. But the anger is born out of 12months of asking for my passport and countless emails telling me i am mental for even implying he had it.
i am reacting from an emotional place i guess.

MinceSpy Fri 05-Dec-14 11:13:02

It may be controlling but it's not illegal.

tweedlezee Fri 05-Dec-14 11:14:09

Thank you xxx

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now