Advanced search

Benefits after split?

(8 Posts)
Esssss Sat 22-Nov-14 18:36:29


I have not separated from my husband but I think we are headed that way. I am looking for a bit of advice really. We have a 12 month old son. My partner is the sole earner as I haven't gone back to work yet even though I'm job hunting and really want to. Anyway, our mortgage is in my dh name. I don't think I would want to stay in the house anyway if we split. I don't have family nearby to help with childcare so if I went back to work full time, pretty much all my wages would go on childcare. So my question is this, if we seperated, I know my oh would pay maintenance but would I get any help from the state to get me back to work? Housing benefit? Subsidised childcare? Any advice would be great as I'm a bit of a mess and scared of the future. Thank you

needssomesun Sat 22-Nov-14 18:41:15

Hi, have you had a look at the online benefit calculators?

I'm recently separated and found them useful.

Esssss Sat 22-Nov-14 19:54:30

Thanks for replying, I'll have a look at those calculators. Hope you're doing ok!

needssomesun Sat 22-Nov-14 20:00:28

No worries, hope you get sorted. It's been a bumpy road but I'm getting there thanks!

Stylecraft Sat 22-Nov-14 20:06:27

You need a solicitor - get a free 30 min appointment.

DanceJunkie Mon 24-Nov-14 20:16:20

I'm also separating and the job centre told me that as a single parent I would get 70% of my child care costs paid for me. I think income support is £72.50 a week. You'd also be entitled to tax credits x

FTS123 Tue 25-Nov-14 07:51:52

And housing benefit and council tax benefit if you rent, I went to CAB and they were incredibly helpful. Best of luck.

ohsotired45 Wed 03-Dec-14 11:01:48

Phone Gingerbread, they were amazing with me when I was leaving and helped me to understand what I was entitled to apply for.

It will depend on your salary but if, for example, you're earning minimum wage, you will likely qualify for certain help - possibly 70% of childcare costs, Working Tax Credit and Child Tax Credit through the Tax Credits office. Child benefit if you're not already receiving it. Housing benefit and Council Tax Support if you're renting.

At the moment, the help available to a single, working parent is reasonable, though I've read various things about possible future penalising of self employed single parents who aren't showing a profit, or those not working full time.

However - be very aware that applying for and relying on this financial support can be stressful. I couldn't handle it long term. Getting through to the Tax Credits helpline is almost impossible some days and they can get payments wrong. I had huge problems getting my HB granted, it was a very complicated form and then they suspended it when they reassessed the value of my former home (still jointly owned) I had to complain via my local councillor who held HB in his portfolio and eventually got an apology, reinstatement and even a small amount of compensation for the stress it caused.

For some benefits, your maintenance isn't considered to be income - but watch out for childcare vouchers from your ex - they count as income for Tax Credits/Childcare costs. When my ex was briefly paying me the 30% of the rest of the childcare costs as his sole maintenance to me in vouchers, I was very annoyed to find that Tax Credits wouldn't pay the 70% - but only 70% of the 70%, even though the vouchers came from him (and he received the tax relief, not me!)

Thankfully he changed jobs and started paying it in cash which changed things and they then paid the full 70% to me. It's madness but that's how it worked.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: