Advanced search

Ex taking kids out of country

(6 Posts)
helmaria Mon 09-Jun-14 20:59:15

The father of my children is taking them abroad for a holiday. If he was taking them on a UK holiday I wouldn't bat an eyelid, but going abroad scares me.

Is it unreasonable to ask for ferry crossing times? addresses of where they will be each night? And most importantly, asking for a copy of their travel insurance.

What else should I ask for? Can I ask, for the names of all the adults who will be responsible for my children?

Thanks in advance

Sassyb0703 Fri 13-Jun-14 07:49:50

is he taking them away in time agreed by court order ? or is access agreed between you. ? Does he have PR ? Why are you 'scared' of them going abroad ? It doesn't sound as though you have concerns about their welfare whilst with him, as not concerned if he took them on holiday in this country, so is it about the specific country they are going to ?

Branleuse Fri 13-Jun-14 07:52:32


so hes taking them to france? ireland? holland?


PatriciaHolm Mon 16-Jun-14 08:35:32

Well - how would you react if he wanted all if that from you? I can't imagine you would be too thrilled?

Only you know whether you have the kind of relationship where you can ask those things, tbh. If he has PR and is taking them away as part of normal, agreed contact, then you don't have any rights to that information and you need to trust him (though i do appreciate it can be hard)

If you have genuine, well founded reasons NOT to trust him with their safety that is a different issue of course.

summerflower Wed 18-Jun-14 21:21:49

You do have to consent to the trip, but if you withhold consent, your reasons would have to stand up in court. If it is a holiday in his agreed contact time, and dc are used to being with him for overnights etc, it is hard to see what grounds you would have. If you are worried about abduction, you need a solicitor.

I am taking dc overseas, I have let their dad know in writing where we are going, when we are away, contact number in case of emergency and that we have valid travel insurance. He has provided written consent to travel and for emergency medical treatment to be given, as well as a contact number for himself. We are minimal contact but this info is to safeguard dc, should anything happen to me. I expect the same from him.

It is none of your business who they are travelling with, but you can ask for an itinery. If you draft a permission to travel letter and ask him to fill in his itinery and contact number so you can sign it, that might politely make the point that he can't just take dc out of the country.

unrealhousewife Wed 25-Jun-14 08:15:11

Why does it scare you?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now