Advanced search

What do i need to do if we are separated?

(7 Posts)
pomegranate1975 Sun 11-May-14 14:38:06

I have four kids with my husband of 10 years. I am so over this marriage. He is always angry, moody, thinks he is the boss, arragont and full of insults. I have been wanting to leave him for many years. I am over this marriage because of his arguments all the time. We argue all the time as he is a arguer just like his dad. He thinks he is a pot of gold.
Anyway, i want out or at least stay in the same house but separated. I told him to leave and nothing has happended. I also think the kids will cry and stress out as i have four boys and they are used to the routine with the family. I willl have them with me but i dont want to deal with my husband. If i have my own room or he goes to another room it will be great but the thing is he needs to sleep elsewhere. What do i need to do if we are separated?

Fidelia Sun 11-May-14 15:35:18

Well, firstly, you need to talk to him....

As for the rest,we need to know if you're working and whether your children are school age etc.

You can't make him leave because the house is a joint marital asset. And if you're the one who wants to separate,then it's reasonable for you to be the one who moves out of the marital bedroom.

As for the rest, if you can let us know more about your circumstances,we can help more.

inchoccyheaven Sat 17-May-14 09:05:58

I suggest seeing solicitor. Not sure if it was because I wanted to divorce rather than just separate but even though we both own house I could have got him removed eventually which would have taken about 6 months. I felt it wasn't tenable for us to live together that long while fighting it out so left instead.

kychan Tue 27-May-14 17:21:22

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

kychan Tue 27-May-14 17:24:40

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

kychan Tue 27-May-14 17:24:47

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

McKenzieFriend Wed 28-May-14 10:35:50

Legally, he doesn't have to do anything and you will have to leave the matrimonial bedroom if that is your wish.

If the relationship deteriorate to abuse, significant emotional harm and environment for children, then either one of you can apply for an occupation order of the matrimonial home. These are not given lightly and evidence is required.

An occupation order can also allow both to live in the premises but defines who has which rooms, which are private and which are shared.

Be warned this can work both ways.

If you both become entrenched in the matrimonial home, you both have responsibility to maintain an amicable relationship for the children.

Be prepared to live in the same house for the next 12 - 24 months.

Its tough but possible. At the end of the day you have the choice to re-house if financially possible.

Hope this clarifies.

With regards

McKenzie Friend Phil

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now