Advanced search

Child tax credits

(5 Posts)
NK346f2849X127d8bca260 Tue 11-Mar-14 13:13:01

Living in what is becoming an intolerable set up and want h to move out .
I am not working at the moment and money is tight. We have no relatives or friends he can stay with.
Can I claim child tax credits if he moves out and rents somewhere ? Reading Online it looks like you have to be separated permanently.

heliumheart Tue 11-Mar-14 16:11:42

I started claiming tax credits whilst my H was still living under the same roof but as soon as we decided to separate.

Beccawoo Wed 12-Mar-14 20:19:05

Yes you can claim them as long as you are not living with "your partner". If he is no longer your partner then go for it.

DaisiesDandelions Fri 21-Mar-14 00:03:18

I was told that we have to be financially separated so no joint outgoings or bank account. our joint account is overdrawn at the moment so I cannot close it and claim

scottybeammeup Sat 22-Mar-14 12:51:28

As long as he moves out then you can claim Child Tax Credits. If you get back together then obviously you have to advise them and payment will cease. Might be a good idea to contact the Council Tax and have him removed from the bill - not only will you get a 25% single persons discount, but it will prove he is no longer living at the address.

I did this and had no problems claiming.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: