Advanced search

Told dp I want to seperate

(8 Posts)
bordellosboheme Mon 10-Feb-14 22:10:25

His house. I have 1ds who is just 2yo and 2 dogs. No property. Not married. Where do I go? Please give me some help and advice!

JeanSeberg Tue 11-Feb-14 14:16:36

Is it his son too?

bordellosboheme Tue 11-Feb-14 15:05:30

Yes, his son

JeanSeberg Tue 11-Feb-14 15:17:50

From my limited knowledge, unless you had a cohabitation agreement, his only obligation is to provide for his child, not you. Perhaps get some advice from the Citizens Advice Bureau.

Is it likely to be amicable?

JeanSeberg Tue 11-Feb-14 15:19:32

MikeWazowski Tue 11-Feb-14 15:51:10

I was in this situation 2 years ago, your local council have a duty of care towards you and will have to help. Providing you have been registered in their ares for a certain amount of time you will be entitled to housing benefit and other allowances. You should then be able to apply to be on the local housing register. Get in touch with your local council housing office ASAP and the tax credits office as well. As soon as you are not a couple your tax credits will change, probably in your favour, even if you are still under the same roof. Also speak to your local citizens advice bureau, they are very helpful. HTH. Pm me if you want more advice x

bordellosboheme Tue 11-Feb-14 17:11:43

Mike that is a massive help. I have a form from the housing thingie (not done this before) but is it better to speak directly to them, rather than just post off the form and wait?

MikeWazowski Tue 11-Feb-14 18:08:27

Give them a call if you can, you'll probably still have to complete the form but they should be able to advise you of waiting times and procedures etc, at least then you are in control a bit, they'll put your mind at rest - check their website as well, you may well be able to apply online and just post copies of necessary paperwork to them.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: