Talk

Advanced search

housing issue

(9 Posts)
dontlookbackincords Wed 05-Feb-14 15:03:17

Hi there,
I'm just about to apply for divorce - it's taken me 18 months to get to this point! Anyway, I wanted to ask if anyone knows about council tenancies? I've been staying with my aunt who is a council tenant and though I am not on the tenancy, am worried he might try and say I am, and resulting problems this might cause. If anyone has any advice or experience, that would be really helpful.

Rockchick1984 Wed 05-Feb-14 17:24:07

What sort of problems are you concerned about? Can't your aunt just produce her tenancy agreement showing the house to be in her sole name?

gamerchick Wed 05-Feb-14 17:25:57

I wouldn't worry about that particular problem. They don't just add you to the tenancy willy nilly. The council have their own records.

dontlookbackincords Wed 05-Feb-14 22:37:04

i'm worried that my using this address on my application might cause trouble for my aunt. my soon to be ex might try and say that i'm on the tenacy due to me being here so long. am i over worrying things?

Rockchick1984 Thu 06-Feb-14 00:21:39

As long as your aunt has declared you are living there (for example if she's claiming any benefits) then you will be fine, just ask her for a copy of the tenancy agreement to prove its solely in her name.

dontlookbackincords Thu 06-Feb-14 10:57:00

yes she's on benefits and is retired. she hasn't told the council i was here as it was never suppossed to drag on this long (ex pressurizing me). i'm worried they'll hit her for council tax with me here. i stopped paying rent at my ex shared home in august (i am a mug) even though i left 11 months before that. i really don't want to cause her any hassle...my ex may tell them i have been here that long...

Rockchick1984 Thu 06-Feb-14 11:54:04

Sorry to say but your aunt is currently commuting benefit fraud. She needs to ring up and declare that you are living there, it will be far worse if your ex decides to report you both for benefit fraud than if she rings up herself and admits her mistake.

Rockchick1984 Thu 06-Feb-14 11:54:28

Committing not commuting, stupid autocorrect!

gamerchick Thu 06-Feb-14 12:10:39

Yes she needs to ring them... they'll hammer her for not letting them know.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now