Advanced search

financial help after separation:advice please

(5 Posts)
Bronte Mon 14-Oct-13 21:28:00

Background facts:
have separated from partner after 20 years
have 2 children, 14 and 8
joint mortgage on house
can't afford mortgage on my own
can't afford to buy partner out
want to hold on to house if possible
am currently looking for a new job (have finances until end of december)
about changing mortgage terms
getting a lodger
I am going to CAB tomorrow but any mumsnet knowledge welcome.
Thank you

78bunion Mon 14-Oct-13 21:42:50

Are you married and are you in England or Scotland as those things make a massive difference.

Bronte Mon 14-Oct-13 22:47:22

Not married and in England

Collaborate Wed 16-Oct-13 06:49:02

Under Schedule 1 of the Children Act the court has the power to postpone the sale of the house while it is needed for the children, but if you can't afford to pay the mortgage (he'll be paying you child maintenance) the court won't give you a repossession waiting to happen.
Assuming you can't claim an enhanced share of the proceeds of sale (on land law principles) the court has no power to vary your existing beneficial interests (ie give you some of his) save to the extent of delaying sale.

78bunion Wed 16-Oct-13 10:49:13

That is right.
He probably does not want his children homeless so there is no reason you could not pay him a commercial rent once you get your new job although that might stop him buying another house as he'd still be on the first mortgage so he may well not agree.

Will the children choose to stay with him or you? One option sometimes is they stay with their father in the house. The 14 year old will be old enough to choose which parent with whom to live.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now