Advanced search

Advice on paying for divorce please

(6 Posts)
Mosschops30 Sat 24-Aug-13 09:51:02

H wants his money out of the house (I am buying him out 50/50)

However my solicitor advised that this must be done as part of the divorce proceedings to protect me.

I've paid £120 for all the paperwork, completed it and its now ready to send to court.
However the fee is £410 and I just can't afford that in one month, I don't have that much spare cash.
I've just taken dcs on holiday and need to service my car and get damage fixed, so this month I have virtually no spare cash.

But I know if I tell him I can't do it he will go nuts, saying I'm dragging my feet, ruining his life and not letting him move on.
He won't pay for it I've already asked him

MairzyDoats Sat 24-Aug-13 09:52:49

Well it's up to him really isn't it? You don't have the cash this month, if he wants it doing right now then he's going to have to stump up! Has he had to pay a similar amount for his own papers?

Mosschops30 Sat 24-Aug-13 10:08:45

No because it's me that ended the marriage, he now wants it done quick so he can get the money.
He refuses to rent and wants to buy so is living with his parents and then blames me for his current situation

There are possibly concessions available for court fees. Ask the clerks - they are very helpful. (It may have disappeared with recent changes or as you have property it may not apply, but worth asking).

I had to divorce using a solicitor and it is not cheap, so how will you afford future bills there if you cannot afford court fees.

I do agree with pp that if he wants it done quickly then he can pay. (Do note again though that the many of the court fees do seem to get split equally).

Mosschops30 Sat 24-Aug-13 11:05:29

My solicitor will only charge when she has to do something, at the moment I've done everything.
The £410 is the cost for the whole of the divorce process through the court so no extra fees there. I will not be entitled to any concessions

Lonecatwithkitten Sat 24-Aug-13 12:11:39

I suspect your solicitor wants this as part of a financial consent order which maybe more expensive than just for the basic divorce. It maybe worth asking this question.
Without the financial consent order he could come back for more at a later date.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now