Advanced search

Cheapest way to divorce whilst ensuring water tight financials

(7 Posts)
STIDW Mon 17-Jun-13 13:39:00

It isn't too difficult to do the actual divorce bit yourself if you are prepared to do some research and form filling. Finances are trickier and unless they happen to be a family lawyer most people will require a family solicitor to at least draft a consent order documenting any financial agreement in a way the courts can ratify.

If the value of any assets is substantial or the finances are complicated a high street solicitor will give you a more personal service. Online services are cheaper but you don't get the same level of service.

maggiethemole Mon 17-Jun-13 10:17:41

watch out. this can be a false economy unless you have zero assets although the divorce petition is easy enough if not contested... the first free session and then money on account is standard process

ParsleyTheLioness Sat 15-Jun-13 22:21:24

Going slightly against the solicitor was £240 per hour, but was very on the ball. I think she saved some of my previously invested cash that would otherwise have been lost. Hth.

seagrassandshells Thu 13-Jun-13 21:33:25

Fab! Thanks everyone

Noregrets78 Thu 13-Jun-13 17:46:14

When you come to specific questions, the legal board (under 'other stuff') has some really good family solicitors that post on there. If you're both amicable then there's really no reason you can't do it yourself. DWP has good really basic information

First thing one of you has to do is petition for a divorce - all the links for forms are on that website.

Also wikivorce is a site specifically set up for people trying to divorce without a solicitor.

The financials are treated completely separately from the divorce. There's lots of guidance out there on what's deemed to be fair, no reason you can't decide yourselves how to split things up. Then you'll need to get it drawn up into a consent order, which will then need to be stamped by the court to make it legally binding. Don't think they accept the consent order unless it's been drafted by a solicitor, but shouldn't cost much if you've agreed the details yourselves.

LeoTheLateBloomer Thu 13-Jun-13 15:01:12

If he's not going to contest I believe you can go to the family court and pick up the papers for the two of you to sign yourselves.

seagrassandshells Thu 13-Jun-13 14:58:15

H has agreed to me divorcing him on grounds of unreasonable behaviour.

I have seen solicitor on a free appointment. He now wants £500 to tell me what the next stage is??!

Is there a way to divorce cheaply and do financials? Can we do the forms ourself, or is it money well spent to use a good solicitor.

There should be no contesting or anything - we are amicable (at present!)

Would like to do it the best way possible whilst spending the least money!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now