Advanced search

Help! Friend need advice re: DH making it impossible to live in same house.

(1 Post)
whistleahappytune Tue 28-May-13 19:14:00

Please if anyone has been in a similar situation or has legal experience I would really appreciate your guidance. A dear and close friend of mine is in the process of divorcing her husband. It is extremely important to her to maintain a civilised relationship with her DH for the sake of her DD. She and Dh have been to a mediator and she was hopeful they could come to agreements through talking rather than slanging it out through lawyers.

Problem is he's really abusive on a daily basis - not physically, but verbally critical, dismissive, lots of screaming and threats. It's really difficult for her to be in the house, but she doesn't want to leave her DC.

What exactly are her rights? She's been told that to leave the family home puts her in a vulnerable position. She's been working part-time from home since she had DC so doesn't really have the money to just up and rent somewhere (also doesn't wish to antagonise DH).

I'm very worried. Much as the mediator was a good idea and they were wise to try it, my instinct is she should go to a lawyer now. What would any of you good people advise?

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: