Advanced search

Did you change your name after separation?

(36 Posts)
littleballerina Sun 12-May-13 15:01:55

I have dc who share my married name, if I didn't I don't think it would be a question but I'm not sure that I want to be mrs... when I am separated from HIM.

2anddone Thu 16-May-13 22:52:46

I will always keep my married name, I married him to get same name as ds so buggered if I am changing it now!!

My mum and step dad have been apart for nearly 16 years, he's remarried with 2 boys but my mum will not change her name - she still goes by 'mrs surname' confused when my aunt got divorced she went back to her maiden name asap.

I'd go maiden if it were me.

miemohrs Thu 16-May-13 22:33:46

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

BabyHMummy Thu 16-May-13 22:25:54

neverbeen happy birthday! And very good time to have a fresh start. I did minewhen I moved into my new flat, as an early Xmas pressie to myself

NeverBeenToMe Thu 16-May-13 22:09:38

Yes. More if you want fancy postage smile
Am quite excited now - it's my birthday today so it seemed as good a day as any to start a new chapter!

littleballerina Thu 16-May-13 22:01:51

Thankyou neverbeen. So if you don't receive any help it's £13 + £1 per copy?

NeverBeenToMe Thu 16-May-13 20:56:47

£13 + £1 per certified copy but you get a £10 discount if in receipt of certain benefits eg WTC smile

NeverBeenToMe Thu 16-May-13 20:55:14

Have just filled in the form online

NeverBeenToMe Thu 16-May-13 14:09:53

Match I am going back to my great grandmother's name!

littleballerina Wed 15-May-13 18:18:34

thanks baby.

littleballerina Wed 15-May-13 18:18:21

miranda- good reason to get a phd grin

MirandaWest Wed 15-May-13 18:14:50

I'm didn't change mine when I separated and I'm not going to when I get divorced - I prefer this surname. Not sure about the Mrs part but I don't like Ms and don't want to be Miss. Think I need to do a PhD and turn into a Dr...

BabyHMummy Wed 15-May-13 18:02:53

It's nor as bad as you think. Just takes time to fill in.

You can do it once your divorced without deed poll but you will still need to contact the same ppl and produce your decree absolute.

littleballerina Wed 15-May-13 17:56:22


baby- it sounds a lot of hassle!

MatchsticksForMyEyes Wed 15-May-13 17:55:14

I want to change mine, but sounded DD(5) out and she started to cry. Wouldn't want maiden name as I haven't seen my dad for 30yrs. Wanted a family name that isn't
associated with anyone who pisses me off-would have to go back to great-grandparents' surname for that!

BabyHMummy Wed 15-May-13 17:11:46

Car /house insurance
Mortgage comp if diff from bank too

BabyHMummy Wed 15-May-13 17:10:55

Loan company
Credit / store cards may ask (mine didn't)
Passport office
Your hr dept
All mine have been sent back so never needed more. I think you can pay for more copies if you think you will need them

littleballerina Wed 15-May-13 17:07:56

who would need the copies? and what happens if you need more?

BabyHMummy Wed 15-May-13 16:56:48

Google ukdeedpoll I think I paid £20 for the form and 5 legal copies

littleballerina Wed 15-May-13 16:53:44

ok, thankyou.
how much would it cost to go through a solicitor?

BabyHMummy Wed 15-May-13 15:58:12

Cinnamon is correct its not a legal requirement. You could literally write it on.a.square of loo roll that you are changing your X but through a.solicitor with the correct stamps etc makes life a lot easier

littleballerina Wed 15-May-13 14:59:42

really cinnamon?

NeverBeenToMe Tue 14-May-13 15:25:02

I'm just about to do this. DDs are old enough not to be bothered and ex had finally pissed me off enough that I want nothing more than to be as detached as possible from him.

Mother2many Tue 14-May-13 15:19:41

I have also thought of doing this, I am tossed as my DC would then have questions to why their name is different than mine.

I do know, that when I married Xh, it bugged me his 1st wife still carried the "last name" too...

So, I'm not sure if I will or not! lol...

cinnamonsugar Mon 13-May-13 17:22:06

I changed mine after separation. You do not have to use deed poll to do it. I changed my passport with a letter saying I was separated and wished to revert. I changed my driver's license by sending them a copy of my marriage certificate. It makes me so cross that companies will take money for this when it's entirely unnecessary.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now