Advanced search

Did you change your name after separation?

(36 Posts)
littleballerina Sun 12-May-13 15:01:55

I have dc who share my married name, if I didn't I don't think it would be a question but I'm not sure that I want to be mrs... when I am separated from HIM.

losingtrust Sun 12-May-13 17:23:44

I went back to maiden name but have hyphenated with married name as it can be difficult with travelling if you have a completely different name although not significant. I did want to regain some indepence though.

losingtrust Sun 12-May-13 17:25:07

You can choose a name through deed pole and it cost me a bout £25. I am a Ms out of choice. My friend became a Miss at the same time. Her choice.

littleballerina Sun 12-May-13 19:26:21

Hmm, hadn't thought about that.

So I could be littleballerine maiden name- married name? and could i just be known as maiden name?

My problem is that I'm training to be a nurse and when I qualify I'm not sure I'd like his name.

littleballerina Sun 12-May-13 19:26:57

How easy is it to do? deed poll.

TravelinColour Sun 12-May-13 19:29:19

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

losingtrust Sun 12-May-13 20:00:42

It is really easy to change name. I went to a small agency and bank etc have accepted it,

littleballerina Sun 12-May-13 20:22:59

and then you just have to notify.. 'everyone'?

fuzzywuzzy Sun 12-May-13 20:28:51

I reverted back to my maiden name, most of my things were already in my maiden name as I didnt want to change my name to begin with.

It was simple I produced my decree absolute and some places took copies and my name was changed for GP and bills etc.

I choose to be a Ms. my children want my surname too but they have their fathers name which will remain.

littleballerina Sun 12-May-13 21:30:00

At the moment I have no plans to divorce, it'll happen but just not yet.

My children are defiantly keeping their surname.

BabyHMummy Mon 13-May-13 14:13:47

I did because I wanted a clean break.

U can do it online for about £20 which is what I did. Google ukdeedpoll they were brill

cinnamonsugar Mon 13-May-13 17:22:06

I changed mine after separation. You do not have to use deed poll to do it. I changed my passport with a letter saying I was separated and wished to revert. I changed my driver's license by sending them a copy of my marriage certificate. It makes me so cross that companies will take money for this when it's entirely unnecessary.

Mother2many Tue 14-May-13 15:19:41

I have also thought of doing this, I am tossed as my DC would then have questions to why their name is different than mine.

I do know, that when I married Xh, it bugged me his 1st wife still carried the "last name" too...

So, I'm not sure if I will or not! lol...

NeverBeenToMe Tue 14-May-13 15:25:02

I'm just about to do this. DDs are old enough not to be bothered and ex had finally pissed me off enough that I want nothing more than to be as detached as possible from him.

littleballerina Wed 15-May-13 14:59:42

really cinnamon?

BabyHMummy Wed 15-May-13 15:58:12

Cinnamon is correct its not a legal requirement. You could literally write it on.a.square of loo roll that you are changing your X but through a.solicitor with the correct stamps etc makes life a lot easier

littleballerina Wed 15-May-13 16:53:44

ok, thankyou.
how much would it cost to go through a solicitor?

BabyHMummy Wed 15-May-13 16:56:48

Google ukdeedpoll I think I paid £20 for the form and 5 legal copies

littleballerina Wed 15-May-13 17:07:56

who would need the copies? and what happens if you need more?

BabyHMummy Wed 15-May-13 17:10:55

Loan company
Credit / store cards may ask (mine didn't)
Passport office
Your hr dept
All mine have been sent back so never needed more. I think you can pay for more copies if you think you will need them

BabyHMummy Wed 15-May-13 17:11:46

Car /house insurance
Mortgage comp if diff from bank too

MatchsticksForMyEyes Wed 15-May-13 17:55:14

I want to change mine, but sounded DD(5) out and she started to cry. Wouldn't want maiden name as I haven't seen my dad for 30yrs. Wanted a family name that isn't
associated with anyone who pisses me off-would have to go back to great-grandparents' surname for that!

littleballerina Wed 15-May-13 17:56:22


baby- it sounds a lot of hassle!

BabyHMummy Wed 15-May-13 18:02:53

It's nor as bad as you think. Just takes time to fill in.

You can do it once your divorced without deed poll but you will still need to contact the same ppl and produce your decree absolute.

MirandaWest Wed 15-May-13 18:14:50

I'm didn't change mine when I separated and I'm not going to when I get divorced - I prefer this surname. Not sure about the Mrs part but I don't like Ms and don't want to be Miss. Think I need to do a PhD and turn into a Dr...

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: