Advanced search

divorce unsure

(6 Posts)
Xenia Mon 25-Feb-13 21:43:01

I sent him a draft petition from my lawyer so he had a chance to give input on it. My lawyer said that is very often done these days to keep things amicable. He wanted a few changes made and I agreed. Your ex could have done that as it does not really matter what the facts set out in it say. Now he has gone ahead it's not likely anyone will ever read it so just let it lie and negotiate a good financial settlement to avoid wasted costs on court hearings etc. We had no court hearings. Much better just to agree things.

ifte88 Mon 25-Feb-13 00:37:31

Message deleted by Mumsnet for breaking our Talk Guidelines. Replies may also be deleted.

MOSagain Sun 24-Feb-13 17:42:04

Yes, they can go ahead if you don't respond. What will happen is your D's solicitors will arrange for you to be served personally with the petition. They will get another copy and get a process server to physically hand it to you, at home or at work. Not nice. Your other option would be if you really are feeling upset about his allegations is to cross-petition. You could issue your own petition on his unreasonable behaviour. You will have to get in quick if you are going to do this and it will increase the costs but it might make you feel a bit better.

good luck x

Lonecatwithkitten Wed 20-Feb-13 22:26:32

Yes they can go ahead. I am on the other side of the fence ExH had procrastinated ad infinitum so we are just going ahead. Should put this in context he left me to live with OW.

talent Wed 20-Feb-13 12:17:27

I think Ive worked out that if I dont respond they can just go ahead as though I agree

talent Wed 20-Feb-13 12:08:41

I do want to be divorced but in my own time. I feel overwhelmed by it all. My ex sent me a petition ..none of the points are acceptable to me... I have been to sit down and go through it carefully and then see a solicitor but have felt quite stressed about it so have put it off. I told my ex I would get there but this morning I have a letter from his solicitor saying....the county court has confirmed exs Divorce Petition and that I should have filled in and returned the Acknowledgement of service form with the court within 8 days of receipt of papers. Do I have to return this within a certain it a legal thing...if I dont reply straight away does it just go through?
Feeling a bit stupid and fed up and cant see why we couldnt sit down and talk about it really. I have behaved calmly and well throughout our separation and he sends me letters from a solicitor.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: