Advanced search

Advice needed urgently

(4 Posts)
pearleyes Sun 16-Dec-12 09:23:11

Have just found out that H is divorcing me after nearly 20 years of marriage. I don't have any money of my own as I am a full-time student. Does anyone know if solicitors will still help or if I can get legal aid?

Collaborate Sun 16-Dec-12 10:16:51

Legal aid will be available until 1st April, after which it will be withdrawn for all new cases unless there is domestic violence. Better get your skates on.

Whether you are financially eligible to receive LA depends on your capital and your income. Student loans count as income.

pearleyes Sun 16-Dec-12 10:19:20

Thanks do you know if there is a calculator anywhere?

Collaborate Sun 16-Dec-12 10:37:26

google Legal Aid Eligibility Calculator, but it's a blunt instrument that doesn't take into account the many complexities of the system, so may give you a misleading result.

If you post (or PM) me your info I can give you a rough idea.

I'd need to know:
1. Annual student loan (not incl tuition fees)
2. Child benefit.
3. child tax credit (remember this will increase on separation).
4. Any other income?
5. How many children in secondary education or below?
6. Husband's net monthly income (he will pay a % of this as maintenance).
7. Value of your house and the mortgage debt.
8. List of other assets/investments and their value.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: