Advanced search

getting divorced - housing benefit?

(22 Posts)
theendishere Sun 25-Mar-12 21:40:07

Wasn't sure where to put this...
h and are are getting divorced - likely to take a while as house to sell and doesn't sound like he'll be cooperate re finances. We're still all in the same house and things pretty unbearable for me as he's emotionally abusive.
If i were to leave with ds and rent somewhere while divorce & finances beig sorted, would i recieve housing benefit?

OP’s posts: |
mjawch Sun 25-Mar-12 21:42:45

yes you would, IF you claimed income support or another "passport benefit". I got mine paid into my bank in 4 weeks. you do need to pay all admin fees, deposit and 1 months rent up front, urself.
Hope you get it sorted. x

theendishere Sun 25-Mar-12 21:49:35

what's a "passport benefit"?

OP’s posts: |
tiredcupcakes Sun 25-Mar-12 21:56:40

Income Support, Jobseeker's Allowance, Incapacity Benefit or Severe Disablement Allowance are a few.
Are you claiming any benefits or are you working?

theendishere Sun 25-Mar-12 21:58:41

was going to claim working tax credits, not claimigna anything at due to h's income

OP’s posts: |
theendishere Sun 25-Mar-12 21:59:25

Why to do have to be claiming a benefit already to receive housing benefit? sorry, all new to me

OP’s posts: |
tobeheard Sun 25-Mar-12 22:00:31

Do you work OP? If so, it will be easier for you to get a flat,but many many places don't accept housing benefit when you first apply for a flat (in my experience, if you rent from an agency they want written proof from your employer that you work).

You would only get housing benefit if you earned under a certain amount or you were claiming jobseekers allowance and income support etc. I suggest you go to as they have a very useful benefits calculator on there which will give you an indication of what benefits you may be entitled to.

Good luck.

tobeheard Sun 25-Mar-12 22:01:52

If you are a SAHM or work part time and on a low income you will be able to claim housing benefit and income support etc.

tiredcupcakes Sun 25-Mar-12 22:04:58

If you move out, then his income isnt taken into it and you can sort yourself out money wise. do u have a family member you could stay with for 3/4 weeks till your benefits are set up?
You should be able to claim income support if your children are young, this would then give you a few bit of money,
income support
Child tax credits
child benefit too.
and any maintence from the dad.
plus no council tax or rent to pay.
They wont do anything if you are living with him, I am sure. You need to move out, or ask him to till you have set up your benefits.

theendishere Sun 25-Mar-12 22:05:39

I'm self employed and will increase my hours to over 16 so i can claim wtc. I have 1 child, age 6.
is this going to make it difficult for me to rent?

OP’s posts: |
theendishere Sun 25-Mar-12 22:07:00

ds is 6 so pretty sure wouldn't get income support

OP’s posts: |
tiredcupcakes Sun 25-Mar-12 22:12:31

Yea, I doubt you will get much help at all. You need to stay below 16 hours too really, but I am unsure if this applies to the self employed. You would be claiming jobseekers allowance instead then to get rent paid but not if your self employed. (not 100% on that, but pretty sure). Being self employed and a single mum is damn hard love, you are going to struggle unless you can put your work on hold for a while sad x

theendishere Sun 25-Mar-12 22:17:46

just been on the "enetitled to" thing and i says i'd get housing benefit regardless of number of hours worked?

OP’s posts: |
ballstoit Sun 25-Mar-12 22:21:00

I'm fairly sure that you won't qualify for HB if you are named on the mortgage of the other house, unless you left to flee domestic violence. That's what I was told in similar ish situation, although that was 5 years ago and things may have changed.

However, if you were entitled, you could still get a fair bit even if you were working (I'd get about half rent paid if I was working 16 hours at minimum wage, according to calculation by Job Centre Plus at my last nag you to find a non existent job interview work focused interview)

I'd make an appointment with Citizen's Advice Bureau or see if your local Sure Start Centre/Children's Centre have a welfare rights worker.

theendishere Sun 25-Mar-12 22:24:23

Thanks everyone - I'll try to call local housing benefit place tomorrow

OP’s posts: |
kerbear Sun 08-Apr-12 14:38:49

I left my ex and we had to sell our house -I Rent through an agency but had to get a guarantor as I did not earn enough and I did not have my benefits in place. I claim housing benefit (£38 per week) working tax credits and child tax credits. I get a 25% discount on council tax for being single. I did have to prove to the housing benefit agency where the equity from the sale of the house had gone and they wanted copies of my bank statements too. My dc were 13, 8 and 5 and I did not qualify for income support. I did work the benefits out on what they calculated to what I actually got was over £110 less so be careful there.

Lana06 Fri 08-Jan-16 10:04:30

My husband and I have been married for 15 years. 10 of which we lived in South Africa. I owned the house in SA and he moved in when we married. Our relationship has been rocky throughout our marriage. My husband paid most of the bills in S.A. but not for the actual house which was already fully paid up and furnished when he moved in. He was never interested in the house itself and one day after he had been looking for work for a few short months and still hadn't found anything, decided he wanted to go overseas. In my stupidity obviously, my thoughts were, you go where your husband wants to go. So I sold the house, left my entire family and all friends Id ever known to relocate to the U.K.

Shortly after our arrival, I discovered my husband was having an emotional affair with an old girlfirend online, through his private FB messaging. I did not even know she existed, he never once mentioned my name and they would message each other for hours day and night, and this went on for months, talking like love-sick teenagers, getting to know each other all over again, complimenting each other, throwing little sexual inuendos, things you just don't say to a 'friend'. I was devastated to learn the attention I had begged and pleaded for in over 10 years, he's response would be that 'Im just not made that way, Im not attentive, Im not sexual', was being transferred to another woman. When I confronted my husband about this, he went crazy telling me that I had invaded his privacy. Then later he would say they were just friends, (clearly not), and that he had dont nothing wrong, that it was quite normal for male and female friends to communicate with each other this way even when you are in a relationship or married, I said I have many male friends too, all of which he knew about, we talked about family, work and the weather,why on earth would I talk to them this way let alone spend that much time and energy on a male friend. I asked him if they were just friends, why did he never once mention my name in over 4 months, he responded by saying 'we decided we weren't going to bring family into it'. When I told him 'if you claim to just be friends, perhaps her husband can joing in on the conversation', he said 'you just want to ruin her life'. Huh? Clearly he felt trapped and guilty. Not only was I devastated at the betrayal of him breaking the emotional bond between two people who make a comitment for life to each other, but he further defended her honor and made excuses for her too. I showed some online psychologist the conversation my husband had with this other woman and they advised that this was more damaging and detrimental to a marriage than just having a one night stand.

Having lost the only home Id known, having left my entire family behind and moved to another country, having been neglected emotional, mentally and physically by my husband for over 10 years, and then to discover what appeared to me that my husband didn't love me and was clearly making a play for another woman, I went completely off the rails. I felt alone, destitute, (as I had no job and relied on him for the renewal of my visa). I had never touched alcohol in ten years, I started drinking heavily, chatting to other men online and at one point in my drunking state, even met up with someone else and was intimate with them.

When my husband found out I was unfaithful, at first he immediately asked me to forgive him, that he would stop talking to her, but he didn't as they picked up the conversation on Whatsapp and I found it. He then began to tell me 'but you cheated on me', as if this absolved anything he had done to initiate my reaction, calling me a whore etc. When I told him, it wasn't about forgiving, that i did not cheat on him to get back at him but that he had neglected me for ten years, then having nobody to turn to, as well as him defending her, and how could I forgive him when he claimed he had done nothing wrong and that how could we move forward if I couldn't trust how he really felt about me if he could do something like that, would I always be the one he settled for. I told him his continuous refusal to admit he had done anything wrong, using the fact that I had cheated on him, as a means of getting even, was not taking responsibility. He then said, 'I have taken responsibility, Ive had to carry you financially'.

He then became aggressive, abusive verbally and physically and everything went downhill from there. Everytime we would have any argument, he would call me a disgusting name in front of my children and tell me to 'go suck a d...' in front of my children regularly.

I have just recently received my visa renewal for settlement in the UK. I have been searching for work but as yet to no avail. In the meantime, he persistently tells me to and go find a job. He ignores any request I have to discuss anything and clearly trying to make my life a misery in hopes of what I don't know... to force me out of the house, to force me to apply for a divorce??

I would like to know if anyone has any advice on what kind of benefits I could claim from the government should I apply for divorce and need to move out. Would I be able to claim housing benefit without having a job, whilst I continue to look for work?

We have two boys, a 17 year old and 13 year old. Naturally I would need to apply for divorce before I could claim for anything, but would I be entitled to anything if we had joint custody. Would I be able to claim help from him until such time as I have work?

Noregrets78 Fri 08-Jan-16 11:25:24

Lana06 - worth starting your own thread instead.

HanSolo Fri 08-Jan-16 11:41:26

Lana- please do start your own thread so that people see it. May I also suggest womens aid?

Lana06 Fri 08-Jan-16 12:03:59

How do I start a thread as I have pressed on the Start a New Thread button

annteresa Sun 31-Jul-16 00:40:19

Message deleted by MNHQ. Here's a link to our Talk Guidelines.

Roumana Sat 25-Aug-18 15:24:07

i need to know which benifits I could get in case of separation.I don't hv child and working part time.I don't hv savings and do not own any house.Can I get housing benifits and any other benifits and how many hours I should work to get benifts as I work permanant 15 per week but hours keep changing according to my work and increase up to 20 or sometimes 25.

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in