Talk

Advanced search

How long would they be in a hostel?

(7 Posts)
Oddday Fri 21-Oct-11 20:01:20

Not sure if this is the right place to post this so if someone knows of somewhere more relevant I'd be grateful if they could advise.

I'm posting on behalf of my friend, who's living currently with her boyfriend and her kids but looking to separate. However it's probably going to have to be her that leaves, and they have nowhere permanent to go. Does anyone know what the likely situation would be then if they went to the housing association and said they were now homeless? Would they end up in a hostel for months on end, or be likely to be found a house in a week or two, or be put somewhere miles out of her local area? She has three kids and they're all at primary school so obviously she is worried about how she would get them there and back every day.

Anyone have any experience/knowledge?

BellaBells Sat 22-Oct-11 10:25:59

If she went to her local council I think they would say that she has made herself homeless because it was her decision to leave her home, in which case my council would not house you. But if she was in an abusive relationship or if she was forced to leave the home they would put her into a hostel, which are normally miles out of London (not sure where you live) and the council do not give you any help for transportation there. She will stay in the hostel anywhere from a few nights to a few weeks and then they will place her into temporary accommodation, again usually miles out of London. She will remain there until they find a council property- this is what takes the longest, could be years. Again I am not sure where you live so please do not go by what I said completely. The process is not nice and is very degrading. Take a look on Shelters website and also on her local councils website. Good luck

GypsyMoth Sat 22-Oct-11 10:29:13

I was in one for a year. It's not all bad. But I was in an abusive relationship

If she is making herself homeless because the relationship is breaking up, then they need to sort it out themselves!! She certainly won't be given a house in a week or two!!!

SkinnyGirlBethany Sat 22-Oct-11 10:31:00

You're talking months rather than weeks (from someone who runs one smile)

GypsyMoth Sat 22-Oct-11 10:31:17

Oh. And if in temp council accommodation the school won't be an issue..... They will be expected to move school or get there by own means. If homeless you can't pick and choose to be near a certain place

catsareevil Sat 22-Oct-11 10:33:50

Could your friend look for a private let?

Oddday Sat 22-Oct-11 17:11:40

Ah, thanks for info. I was thinking it could be months but wasn't sure obviously given the kids and all, what difference that would make.

The relationship is not good. Not abusive per se but he has mental health issues which she is fed up of trying to help him with, and she has asked him to leave before but he won't. He can't really be reasoned with most of the time so if she wants them to separate then she'll have to leave.

Not sure whether she could look for a private let but will ask.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now