Talk

Advanced search

Anybody been in a similar situation with tax credits?

(8 Posts)
turtle23 Wed 08-Jun-11 18:40:22

H and I separated about 2 1/2 years ago, lived together for a year after leading separate lives. At that point I applied for tax credits as a single claim, they knew the situation. He moved out and lived for a year plus at friend's houses renting their spare room, etc but apparently never had anything official sent anywhere and kept all his bank statements, phone bill etc in "our" address. As most of his bills were online only I didn't realise. ANyway...I have moved out now and have now been told that I have to come up with proof that he was not living there. There is nothing. We didn't even legally seperate because we had no money to spare.
WTF do I do now? They are threatening to cut me off and make me pay back the last year and I just can't. DC deserve better than this. sad

turtle23 Wed 08-Jun-11 18:42:02

We are in the process of getting a divorce now. Am just so lost.

PrincessScrumpy Wed 08-Jun-11 18:47:34

I would get advice from citizens advice but your local MP may be able to help - our's is David Laws and I know he's helped friends out with arguments with tax credit office.

I do find that it depends who you speak to what answer you get.

GypsyMoth Wed 08-Jun-11 19:01:46

There must be something. Is he willing to help you prove this?

turtle23 Wed 08-Jun-11 19:14:15

He said he will ring them. But he has nothing. Not a scrap from anyone official enough. Idiot.

GypsyMoth Wed 08-Jun-11 19:33:01

he must have something from work....csa? solicitor? something somewhere
utility bill?
car registration?

GhostInTheBackOfYourHead Thu 09-Jun-11 11:01:22

Bumping this for you.

What about DVLA? Has he told them when he moved out?

This situation can't be right.

Hopefully someone will be along who may have some better ideas.

(unmumsnettty hugs to you)

turtle23 Thu 09-Jun-11 13:36:59

Sorry things have been a bit miserable this end and I didn't get back here.

He has nothing at all with another address on it. He apparently did not feel the need to change a single bill/form. He is self employed and has barely worked in the last 2 years. One of the myriad reasons we are no longer together. As almost all bills were online he just didn't change any of them. I am going to ring the Gingerbread helpline this afternoon and hope they have some ideas....

Sigh

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: