Talk

Advanced search

husband left only paying half mortgage and his debt is affecting my credit

(5 Posts)
nissi Wed 29-Dec-10 23:23:34

Hi wondered if anyone had any good advice for me ? my husband left in june of this year leaving me with my 3 children from previous marriage and our own son who is 6 and disabled . We have a huge mortgage he is paying half and is expecting me to pay the other half which i can't i am now having to claim benifits to enable us to live which is really very hard. I was hoping that when this is all over with what ever i make on the sale of the house and finances has been sorted out i would buy a little 3 bed and have a mortgage with my eldest boy on it who is working in finance the trouble is after trying to transfer a balance on to a new credit card so i didn't have to pay interest i got declined this led me to check my credit record which shows that my husband bank account has gone over his overdraft and has been frozen which because my name is on it is effecting my credit rating . I have never paid any thing in to this account, never had a cheque book or card for this account.

Can i get my name taken of what am i going to do? is this going to affect my chances for getting a mortgage ? i got so many question but don't know where to get the answer's i am so worried about mine and my children's future i have no idea where i am going where we are going to live, the children are not aware of the worry i have or that we may end up with nothing. Any advice would be great Thank you for taking the time to read this x

Plumm Wed 29-Dec-10 23:26:30

The Moneysavingexpert.com website is a brilliant place to get advice on these kind of problems. You could also try the CAB or Naional Debt Helpline.

Plumm Wed 29-Dec-10 23:26:58

That should be the moneysaving expert.com forum

notremotelyintofootie Fri 25-Feb-11 18:08:12

The problem with joint accounts is although you have never used it you will be jointly liable for any debt on it... I hope it's not much!

hsurp Sat 28-May-11 10:38:54

It's doubtful that your ex will pay for a mortgage in full, meaning you taking your name off (which would be a new mortgage). You may have to sell your house if you can't afford your half. Maybe your ex can buy you out. If not, you may not have a choice but to sell. I would say that whoever left gets less. I kicked my ex out after he went with a friend of ours and he stayed too long even after that, and he left (I had good reason) and he got 40% and I got 60%. His debts were taken from his percentage. Same should happen with you and your ex. Sometimes you just can't save the house when divorce happens. Sorry to say. :-(

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: