Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnetters aren't necessarily qualified to help with medical problems. If you have any serious concerns, we would urge you to consult your GP.

Just to say thank-you

(15 Posts)
Easy Tue 28-Jun-05 11:05:54

I don't know how long this topic has been here, I know no-one else has used it yet, but just wanted to say thanks to the team for putting it in place.

I have had threads in the past, regaading my circumstances, with no where to put them. Now I have.

And if I can help anyone else thru here, just ask.

coppertop Tue 28-Jun-05 11:07:13

And a big thankyou too to Hub2dee who I think was the one who suggested it in the first place.

KarenThirl Tue 28-Jun-05 11:07:58

I agree. Disability is isolating, so is having a SN child, put the two together and it's doubly so. Very pleased that this section is up and running.

Pruni Tue 28-Jun-05 11:09:13

Message withdrawn

Easy Tue 28-Jun-05 11:09:51

I might have known it was Hub2dee !!

Cheers pal

Easy Tue 28-Jun-05 11:12:21

Pruni,

I've been here for a while, with all sorts of probs 2 years ago when my hip broke and I couldn't find any childcare (except fostering, which we rejected out of hand tho')

I have to say I'm not a fan of Alison Lapper tho', for lots of reasons (but lets not go into that now).

coppertop Tue 28-Jun-05 11:13:23

I agree, Karen. It's difficult too when I have to go to so many extra meetings and appointments and find it really difficult to hear what is actually happening. I'm always worried that I'm going to miss something really important.

Pruni Tue 28-Jun-05 14:00:50

Message withdrawn

Easy Tue 28-Jun-05 16:54:05

Hi, Pruni, sorry about the delay, had to go and present a training course.

Well (at risk of making myself unpopular) I remember seeing Alison first on 'Child of our time', her son is just a few months younger than mine, she's about my age. I'm a child of the 'Thalidomide Generation' altho' my disabilities are not of that type, I do have mobility and dexterity problems.

I identified with her quite a lot in those first programmes, like Paris my ds is growing up to be very bright and independent.

As the years have gone on tho' I feel that Alison didn't do the best for her son given their circumstances. I feel that it was a very 'brave' thing for her to have her child in the first place alone, I know I wouldn't have contemplated it had my dh not been committed and caring, I wouldn't have managed at all. And Alison has never seemed to manage to get a settled environment for Paris. He has had a very large number of carers, as Alison admits some for very a short time, and she has carried on with her career, sometimes travelling and leaving him. I read an article somewhere a while ago in which she stated that his was an emotionally unstable background.I just feel that she really should have put his welfare first, and her career second in his formative years, or at least until she could form a close relationship with a long-term nanny to give Paris some stability.

A second factor is that I am not a "militant disabled person" and sometimes feel that Alison's views have been put forward as speaking for the disabled community. But she doesn't speak for me. I recognise that the media is probably very much a conspirator there tho'.

I don't have anything against her personally, and would probably get on with her quite well if we met (similar things to talk about re raising a fit and healthy boy), but disagree with the public face I've seen.

misdee Tue 28-Jun-05 16:56:36

hi

and yeeeeees fpor this section

i am not disabled but my dh is. we are having things set up with adult care services atm, so will hopefully get some sort of extra care in place so i can have a day off.

Easy Tue 28-Jun-05 17:08:23

Misdee, whats happening with you dh, is he still waiting? Did you get anything sorted out with Direct Payments?

misdee Tue 28-Jun-05 17:27:42

we are getting a 'sitting' service sorted out via SS so i can go out without worrying about leaving dh alone. plus someone to help with housework.

dh is still waitin atm. also still in hospital.

hub2dee Tue 28-Jun-05 21:20:23

Tee hee. Glad you have a special place to post.

<escapes to tidy / clean / plan / buy for imminent baaaaaaaaaaby>

Pruni Wed 29-Jun-05 07:12:34

Message withdrawn

mushbrain Sun 03-Jul-05 00:17:32

hi, I'm relatively new to mumsnet but have already decided its great, even more so having found this thread. I am not disabled but my dad broke his neck in a car accident when I was 15mnths old and has been in a wheelchair ever since, 38.5 years, yep, I'm an oldy. We think he is the longest living tetraplegic in the UK, my mum says, "well, you can't kill a bad thing" she's Irish. I was the youngest of 4 children in my family and my mum and dad went through hell to keep us all together and raise us. Thankfully, we all turned out relatively normal. They would have loved something like this to help them through the tough times, my dad has become a real internet junky in the last 3 years! Anyway, Yea for mumsnet, well done to whoever put this thread on

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now