Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnetters aren't necessarily qualified to help with medical problems. If you have any serious concerns, we would urge you to consult your GP.

Coping with toddlers when you can't lift anything any tips?

(4 Posts)
babalon Mon 20-Oct-08 16:10:13

I'm due to have a lumber disc replacement sometime during the next 3 months. I am not going to be able to life anything heavier than a bag of sugar for 3 months post op and have to be very careful turning and bending etc. I have a 2 yr old DS as well as a 9 and 11yr old and I'm panicing about how I'll cope.

Especially getting a toddler in and out of a car seat in my zafia without doing damage and also safty issues such as him running away.

Any hints and tips or recommendations on equipment much appriciated.

Was thinking of getting one of those folding plastic stools to allow him to climb into car pushchair! Do you think this will work?

Amaryllis Thu 23-Oct-08 20:31:04

I've got my ds who is 2and 11m to climb into his own car seat for the last few months as I have been having problems lifting him - I think it is worth trying something like the stool you suggest - he'll soon get the hang of it.
I have a 6 year old and she is a great help getting things from the floor for me. Haven't worked out what to do with heavy things - nor what to do about changing lightbulbs!

PigeonPie Thu 23-Oct-08 21:54:03

I quite understand how you might be panicking - I think I would too. Can you get referred for physio before the op? They may well be able to give you ideas on how to cope. The physio I had when I was pg gave me some fantastic advice about firstly how to deal with DS (when he was the only one!) and then dealing with him when DS2 was on the way. She also gave me advice on the sorts of equipment which would be useful.

DS1 realises that I can't pick him up that much and have difficulty getting him into the car so he has to climb in himself and has done since he was about 19months, I then help him with the last turning round bit and it seems to work.

Re him running away, I had DS1 on reins once he started to walk so he was used to them. He doesn't wear them now, but I have a wrist strap which we use when it's busy or as a threat if he doesn't behave. So a wrist strap may well help. However, your DS will be 3 months older by then and it's amazing how much they develop at this age.

It might be that your 11 and 9 year olds might have to take a bit of responsibility and help you too.

Good luck

babalon Fri 24-Oct-08 15:17:14

Thanks very much for the replies, I think I'll try and get some OT/Physio input. I've brought him a different car seat this week a boaster one with back and straps. He can't quite get in himself so I'll try with a stool over the weekend. I'm going to start to make him do as much as possible without me lifting him from now on. I'm really worried though

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now