Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnetters aren't necessarily qualified to help with medical problems. If you have any serious concerns, we would urge you to consult your GP.

Anyone returned to work whilst on Incapacity benefit?

(6 Posts)
somethingsticky Mon 14-Jul-08 15:20:26

Am I right in thinking that incapacity benefit is paid in arrears? I am trying to work out when they would stop my money and if I could manage until my first payday.... I phoned the jobcentre and they wouldn't tell me over the phone and want me to come in for a return to work interview! I start work on Monday. So, I'm turning to the place I normally get good advice, i.e. MN.

justRia Mon 14-Jul-08 15:28:38

I think it's 2 weeks in arrears. If you have been off a while you should be able to apply to the social fund for money to tide you over unitl you get paid.

I'm sure there will be someone more knoledgeable along soon.

somethingsticky Mon 14-Jul-08 15:37:58

I've been off for 2 yrs but only on icapacity for 1yr as I didn't know I could get it. if socal fund is means tests then DH's salart might mean we don't qualify but when we have paid all our bills there isn't enough left to cover the upfront childcare and travel costs whilst living on less money. haven't any savings now unfortunatly.

MollieMooma Mon 14-Jul-08 15:52:49

Hi I used to process claims for Incapacity Benefit, basically it is paid in arrears, but you will need to tell them your start date and they will then pay you up until the day before you start work.
If you fill the letter in that they send stating the date you started work etc then you can apply for linking if things don't work out and go back to the original claim
Hope this helps

somethingsticky Mon 14-Jul-08 23:20:36

thanks MM! I was wondering how I would stand if it went pear shaped. im going from SAHM to FT work with a stonking commute, and my health is fragile at best so its an optomistic thing to try to say the least.

somethingsticky Tue 15-Jul-08 23:05:54

wow! I qualify for a £250 quid return to work grant and may qualify for another £200 one if I can register myself correctly, job centre lady was lovely! she explained about the linking too as I qualift for higher rate tomorrw....

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now