Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnetters aren't necessarily qualified to help with medical problems. If you have any serious concerns, we would urge you to consult your GP.

Anybody ever used a folding walking stick?

(17 Posts)
grouchyoscar Thu 24-Apr-08 17:08:10

I use a walking stick outside the house. More for stability and peace of mind (and so people don't think I'm a drunk)

Thing is the 'Sprout Stick' the physio gave me gets in the way. It's big, bulky, won't stand up and makes me feel disabled. After a gig on Sunday I wondered if I could get a stick that would get me from A to B and then disappear so it's not in the way and I can dance etc.

I've found some on eBay but I am worried that they will not bear my weight or may chose to collapse at will. Has anyone ever used one and what are the advantages/disadvantages of this product?

TIA

sarah293 Thu 24-Apr-08 17:12:47

Message withdrawn

PigeonPie Thu 24-Apr-08 21:33:51

I've got a folding one and love it. Pre-pushchair I used it all the time, it has a very strong bit of elastic running through it from the ferrule at the bottom to the handle and folds into four pieces which I used to keep together with a rubber band when not in use.

It certainly bore my weight (although I'm not usually that heavy) and I could only see advantages to it. Mine is black and rather stylish (!), but I have seen some rather jolly flowery ones which I quite like the look of.

If you get one, make sure that you get one the right length for you. I know that some of them now have an adjustable bit at the top for length, but I don't know how much they then fold. I think mine came from Boots, but many years ago.

grouchyoscar Fri 25-Apr-08 19:57:05

Great stuff, thanks for the feedback on them

The ones I have seen are Black, Red floral and Blue paisley. I'm thinking of getting a few (if they work out for me that is) Well if I'm stuck with using one I might as well enjoy lugging it about grin

FAQ Fri 25-Apr-08 20:01:09

My mum has a folding one and has had no problem with it at all. She's quite "large" but she's never been worried about it collapsing under her.

my DS's also think it's great how you can fold it up and "snap" it back into a stick so easily

Sanguine Tue 29-Apr-08 11:06:42

I have one like pigeonpie described. It has a bit at the top for adjusting the height, and it's really very sturdy, no worries about it collapsing at all.

The only problem I have with it is that it's more sturdy than my wrist! Humph.

notcitrus Mon 26-May-08 15:21:33

I have one (£13 from the local chemist). It's great although there is a slight movement when I put my weight on it, but it is in no danger of buckling at all.

I don't fold it often now as my hands aren't great, and I'm using it more as pregnancy has made my vertigo much worse. And a stick is much more effective than just being pregnant for getting seats on buses...

What is very useful is the elastic loop attached to it - I thought it was naff at first but it's so handy being able to just hang the stick over my wrist when wrestling with bags.

desperatehouswife Sun 01-Jun-08 15:56:57

My husband used one of these for a while and was as good as his standard walking stick until he had to use it in mud. The base of the collapsible stick became stuck in the mud when he lifted it up which I think made him lose confidence in it as he nearly fell overshock. So don't use it in mud!!

pollywobbledoodle Sat 14-Jun-08 22:31:28

also have a standard black folding one ,£10 from the chemist....only problem was the rubber foot skidding on a wet floor but you'd get that with any stick i think....am also thinking of getting a fancy coloured one to match my clothesgrin

pollywobbledoodle Sun 15-Jun-08 17:49:01

has anyone used the multiangle folding stick with a little tripod rubber end that is supposed to be good for slopes and uneven surfaces? you see them in kleeneze catalogues...

rhinosparkle Wed 10-Sep-08 17:58:22

grouchyoscar probably sorted by now but just in case -I got nice folding stick from National Trust shop until I can get sorted by OT. There are some funky ones sold online by 'Switch Sticks' in different sizes & loads of colours. Hope that helps

Olessaty Wed 01-Oct-08 17:40:38

Who am I best to talk to about a stick? OT, physio or someone else?

I want one for stability as my hips keep 'giving way' and I have a little baby and would hate to fall when carrying her.

PigeonPie Fri 03-Oct-08 22:35:20

Olessaty, it would be worth chatting to a physio to start with but I would say that you probably won't use it much when you're carrying a baby or out with it once it's walking. I certainly don't feel safe carrying a baby in one hand and holding a stick in the other - even with my hippy chick.

I try to always put DS2 in the pushchair when out and use that as a walking frame rather than have the stick which either I or DS1 is likely to trip over.

Once your baby is walking I would strongly recommend reins - I know that they aren't liked in many circles, but I wouldn't have dared go out without DS1 in them so that I always had hold of him and knew I wasn't going to have to run and get him if he did try to escape. I put them on DS1 as soon as he was walking if we went outside so that he got used to them and they just became a fact of life. He is now almost 3 and we aren't using them much now, but I keep a set available as a threat!

rosietoes Mon 10-Aug-09 14:00:08

bump

rosietoes Mon 10-Aug-09 14:03:36

This was posted some time ago, but there is a great company my OT told me about called Switch Sticks. They have very good, strong collapsible walking sticks in great colours and designs and they all come with a nylon bag you can store it in when you fold it up.

I was miserable having to use a stick and felt like a pensioner, but having a bright turquoise one cheered me up immensely!
Also found no one on the bus or tube ever noticed my black stick from chemist.

Webme1 Sat 15-Aug-09 11:06:46

Walking sticks come in all sorts of designs, colours and styles now.

When buying a walking stick, I recommend getting it from a reputable source such as a mobility shop so you know it is fit for its purpose.

Folding walking sticks can be great and can take a heavy weight. Some have a great palm rest that is easier on the hands than the standard stick and you can buy ones designed specifically for the left or right hand too.

The one snag with folding walking sticks is that some of them are not easy to fold. However given a choice, I would choose a foldable walking stick every time.

LteMadrid Thu 20-Aug-09 20:22:46

Oh I LOVE MN!!! I know this thread was started a long, long, long time ago but that is the beauty of this virtual world!

Was just contemplating getting out my utilitarian folding stick with comfy handle and brown gleam when I read some posts last night including this one (ie was feeling sorry for myself and my deteriorating state).

Have had the 'luxury' of pushchairs for the past 4 years so not had to think about using them.

So now that's it, pushchair days almost over but Switch Sticks here I come!! grin My only concern is the handle as my favourite one has a gel handle which is great for arthritic wrists and hands. But Switch Sticks have told me that there is a distributor here in Spain and they will ship out an ergonomic handle for me to try so can go try out the sticks first - what service.

One thing I have done in the past to adapt walking sticks and crutches is put squash handle grip around them as it gives etc cushioning for when fingers and wrists are tender.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now