Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnetters aren't necessarily qualified to help with medical problems. If you have any serious concerns, we would urge you to consult your GP.

Baywearing on crutches? Also embarrassed using a stick.

(4 Posts)
MeAgain91 Mon 06-Aug-18 12:41:02

I’ve got a 16lbs 4mo Whom I babywear when he tires of the buggy, but I use a crutch due to spine/hip/leg problems. I want to try a ring sling as the k’tan is so hot and we’ll be going to Chessington in 32 degree heat tomorrow. Really anxious about how I will cope as I was only newly pregnant at legoland last year and struggled so much. I also have asthma and the heat/struggle makes me so out of breath. I hate this, my OH has to do everything with my 10yo because I can’t.

Also, does anyone struggle with embarrassment using a crutch? I’ve never been embarrassed about anything in my life save for public seizures but I’m only in my 20s and hate using the crutch in public. I know it’s stupid as I’d never think twice about anyone else using an aid especially as I was a carer before this.

Sorry to ramble, suppose I’m just struggling today.

IsItBiggerThanTheBoxItsIn Tue 07-Aug-18 20:40:10

Hi there! I hope it went well for you today. Did you have a go with the ring sling? I loved using a wrap but my 5 month old is absolutely huge and you're right about the heat! My husband has needed various walking aids but people don't generally seem to think anything of it. He uses a structured carrier because it has better back support for him. People seem more interested in the baby than him, in a nice way. I can empathise with your feelings as I know it gets to him sometimes, but I honestly think most people don't notice or care. I hope you were able to enjoy the day flowers

MeAgain91 Tue 07-Aug-18 22:50:21

Hiya, thank you for the reply. I did see quite a few others with mobility aids from sticks to full wheelchairs and realised how silly I’ve been. Due to the rush getting the baby out (hates the car) I forgot my stick and knee brace. We weren’t there long at all (baby caused 3 hour delay from stopping loads) and I got to sit down a lot luckily but I’m paying for my mistakes. Can’t take more than paracetamol and ibuprofen as I’m breastfeeding and it’s not touching the pain. Luckily it was rainy so not as hot as it said (32!) but we’ve got it all again tomorrow

IsItBiggerThanTheBoxItsIn Sat 11-Aug-18 15:46:57

I’m sorry you’ve had to struggle with the pain, i hope it’s easing now and that the next day went well. It’s hard coping with the added complications of disability as a parent, especially remembering your stuff as well as baby’s and fitting it all in the car!

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: