Advanced search

Mumsnetters aren't necessarily qualified to help with medical problems. If you have any serious concerns, we would urge you to consult your GP.

Should I move Year 4 DD into new school

(1 Post)
twinshock Tue 13-Mar-18 10:27:08

Hi there, I'm really struggling to make a decision on this and I hope you lovely people might be able to help me.

My 8 year old has been diagnosed with ADHD and dyspraxia. It is the inattention type, so she is not disruptive and doesn't really have behavioural problems, but she has huge issues with concentrating and as a result is behind where she should be with schoolwork.

She is in a state school, which is overall a good school but in her year group there is some pretty shocking behaviour and the poor teacher spends most of the day managing behaviour rather than teaching. One child has started bullying my DD and she will come home in tears about once a fortnight. She doesn't seem to be learning much and talks only of being distracted and finding it hard to follow classes. I'm worried that this environment is really not good for her and that she would be better off in a smaller class and in a school that was less academically driven.

We are extremely lucky as we could afford to move her to a private school and there is a place in one nearby. She is in year 4 - would you do this? Or actually would the disruption of a move be worse for her?
I'm having sleepless nights over this so any insights or experiences would be most gratefully appreciated.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now