Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnetters aren't necessarily qualified to help with medical problems. If you have any serious concerns, we would urge you to consult your GP.

Aspergers diagnosis

(15 Posts)
surlycurly Fri 12-Jan-18 21:01:24

Hi is there anyone out there with HFASD? Preferably female? I'm mid diagnosis and could do with chatting about some of the difficulties. TIA

Kingsclerelass Sun 14-Jan-18 00:35:16

I'm aspie. I've never bothered with dx though because I worry having a "label" gives people an opportunity to discriminate, so I'm not sure I'm much use to you.
I work, keep my head down and try hard to avoid upsetting people. I'm lucky, I work in a dept of one so need to get on with people is less.

surlycurly Sun 14-Jan-18 10:34:08

I work in a large team (high school) and it's mainly work that has prompted me to get the diagnosis. I'm struggling to fit in and constantly offend people with my opinions about what we're not getting right, and my frustration when people don't do what they say. Short of resigning I'm going to have to tell them or look for another school. It's al rather depressing.

surlycurly Wed 17-Jan-18 10:24:27

Bump

Kingsclerelass Wed 17-Jan-18 16:33:20

Does the school have someone responsible for special needs kids. Could you have a chat with her/him? Maybe she would act as a sounding board for you.

I have a colleague with an aspie son who, if I'm getting really frustrated with people over something, reads my emails before I hit send, and suggests some rewording for me.

I do feel for you. The last place I worked was awful. I was higher qualified than my director and she thought that my "brusqueness" was me being patronising. She responded by trying to humiliate me into submission. I find working for men easier - they don't seem to be so easily offended. Don't give up though flowers

surlycurly Wed 17-Jan-18 21:15:04

My female boss isn't a fan of mine either to be honest but I'm just exasperated with work generally and I'm struggling to disguise it. I appreciate the message by the way- This is all quite new and daunting, as much as it's reassuring and a relief. I look forward to knowing how to deal with all this a bit better!

Kingsclerelass Fri 19-Jan-18 11:01:12

When you find out, please share any tips with me.

I had another thought. Have you read a book called Odd Girl Out. That helped a bit.

I've had a success this week, which is probably tiny but is a relief.
For the last year another mum has taken my ds to school in the morning & I contributed to costs.
Before xmas her kids were ill and so I took my ds in. But then once they were back at school, she didn't reply to my text about if it was ok to resume. I assumed I'd upset her & it really got me down because I had no idea how. Yesterday she texted and said did I want her to take ds as before. And this morning she was lovely and perhaps it wasn't me. Maybe she just needed some downtime. Little wins... smile

lottieandmia22 Mon 26-Feb-18 01:43:58

Hi. I have Aspergers. I was diagnosed last October. I am very frustrated with how it affects my relationships. I will start dating someone and explain I'm autistic. They say it's fine and then later if something goes wrong they throw in my face the fact I seemed anxious or accuse me of only talking about myself & rambling. I'm currently dating someone who thinks he can cure my autism by releasing trapped emotions. I feel terrible. Because of how my brain is, I just get stuck on things. I say to people to tell me if I'm rambling at the time and try to help me move the conversation on but they don't and then later seem angry with me about it. Why the fuck can't they just tell me at the time instead of storing it and using it later against me?

And I completely relate to your point about people not doing what they say they will do. That really stresses me.

Nat6999 Tue 20-Mar-18 07:44:00

Is anyone else with ASD really untidy? I'm waiting for an assessment but all of my life I've been the untidiest person on earth, my flat looks like the inside of a skip, I know having ME/CFS & Fibromyalgia don't help as I don't have much energy but even before I started having problems with them I was untidy. Wish I could find some way of getting a tidy gene transplant

Hillarium Tue 20-Mar-18 10:04:32

I'm very untidy. Lots of people on the spectrum are because it has to do with executive function (mine is poor)

Nat6999 Tue 20-Mar-18 13:55:27

At last I can prove it's not my fault my flat looks like the inside of a skip, both me & my son have ASD.

Hillarium Tue 20-Mar-18 14:26:15

No it's not your fault. I really struggle to organise things. I desperately want to be tidy 😩

Nat6999 Tue 20-Mar-18 14:44:48

So do I but it's like trying to plait fog sometimes 😀

Hillarium Tue 20-Mar-18 16:14:31

Haha, it is!

surlycurly Fri 23-Mar-18 21:35:03

I used to be a total mess but I got soooo stressed out losing everything all the time, I decided I had to tidy up and organise myself. I'm now a bit OCD and my house is always tidy. I can't cope otherwise. My head melts.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: