Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnetters aren't necessarily qualified to help with medical problems. If you have any serious concerns, we would urge you to consult your GP.

DLA award amount

(4 Posts)
ilovechoc1987 Fri 21-Apr-17 00:40:02

Hi my daughter was recently awarded dla, I just need advice on whether she's receiving the correct level of dla.

She's 4 yrs 6 months is non verbal, is still in nappies, has global development delay, ataxia and dysmetria, she doesn't sleep well and wakes regularly during the night with pains in her legs due to brain damage. She wakes roughly 6-7 times a night and is sometimes awake anywhere between 2-5 hours, screaming in pain or getting up and thrashing about etc.
We use pecs to communicate and she regularly either refuses to walk or is unable to due to discomfort, so she still uses a stroller.
She has behavioural issues and can't tolerate a lot going on at once and will cover her ears etc. She is very autistic like in character although hasn't yet been referred for testing.
She has a metabolic disorder where learning difficulties and mobility disorders are seen in almost 100% of suffers.
She cannot be left alone because she doesn't understand the world around her, and doesn't understand any spoken language.
She is probably on par with your average 12 month old baby.

She was awarded Middle rate dla
Of which we are immensely grateful for, and it will indeed change her life allowing her to have private speech therapy. I just need to know if what she is receiving the correct amount according to her extra needs.
Any input appreciated.

UnbornMortificado Thu 18-May-17 18:41:22

I'd guess at not, I receive middle rate for DD2 for mild speech and mild GDD. Have you a local citizens advice? They would be able to help you get a reconsideration if it's a recent award.

UnbornMortificado Thu 18-May-17 18:44:03

There is a children's SN board which is more active. If you ask for the thread to be moved you might get more responses.

Seenoevil Fri 19-May-17 19:23:55

I would say she should be on higher, which my son receives, but it's all about wording on the form etc to be honest.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now