Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnetters aren't necessarily qualified to help with medical problems. If you have any serious concerns, we would urge you to consult your GP.

How do disabled parents transport their children?

(5 Posts)

I have a genetic connective tissue disorder (joint hypermobility syndrome/ehlers danlos hypermobility type). I have ruptured ligaments in my knees making them very injury prone. My 3 year old ends up stuck in the house with me missing pre-school and toddler groups on a regular basis. I'm frequently housebound for 10 days at a time. How do other disabled parents get out of the house with a toddler, and get them to preschool? I have no idea how I will get her to school when she's older!

Stretchedfortime Sun 19-Jun-16 08:59:05

Hi

Have you tried contacting your local council and asking for an assessment under the Care Act? We are expecting a baby and have started a discussion about what the council can help us with. The care act basically says councils have to help disabled adults to achieve 10 outcomes if not doing so would affect someone's wellbeing. The 10th outcome is carrying out caring responsibilities for a child. It has taken us a little while to find someone in the council who understands what the law says and admittedly we haven't got help yet because the baby isn't here yet. But they're coming to assess what we need after the birth. But it's really worth a try. They might for example agree to pay for someone to help you take them our a couple of times a week. And if you get a direct payment, it can be someone of your choice. Good luck. It may take a lot of persistence but the law is on your side.

GreenGoth89 Mon 27-Jun-16 08:57:16

Mobility scooter and lap belt! Google mobility scooter baby carrier and there is a charity which put one together for a woman with MS so it's worth a try, but I had him on my lap until he got too tall and now he walks beside me (first on reins now just holding my hand).

DEMANDcharity Tue 30-Aug-16 11:53:00

Our team can make and adapt equipment when there's nothing suitable to buy. Please give us a call or get in touch via our website if you don't find a suitable solution: www.DEMAND.org.uk

Demandcharity - great, thanks!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now