Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnetters aren't necessarily qualified to help with medical problems. If you have any serious concerns, we would urge you to consult your GP.

Parents with Learning Disabilities

(2 Posts)
Sal59 Sun 21-Feb-16 11:48:11

Hi, I am friends with a mum who is learning-disabled who has two school-age children, one with learning disabilities and one in mainstream. Because she can't read and write, her experience of her children's schools has been really difficult and I have had to "translate" education for her. I wondered how many parents there are in a similar position. Are you a parent with a learning disability? Are you friends with a learning disabled parent? Do you know of learning-disabled parents, even if you aren't aquainted with them? My big aim is to try and set up a support service and am wondering what the need is. There is very little data about learning-disabled parents.
Thank you for any comments and ideas.

Janey444 Mon 06-Jun-16 09:38:15

Only slightly off topic but seeing as you care for someone with learning disabilities who may one day rely on community daycare services, I thought you might be interested in signing our petition. www.change.org/p/steven-lee-foster-stop-hertfordshire-county-council-making-cuts-to-adult-day-centre-services?recruiter=249816346&utm_source=petitions_show_components_action_panel_wrapper&utm_medium=copylink

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now