Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnetters aren't necessarily qualified to help with medical problems. If you have any serious concerns, we would urge you to consult your GP.

Disabled Parents

(6 Posts)
ctongue1 Sat 17-Oct-15 16:36:10

Hi all, I know there's quite a few threads like this but I thought it best to start my own. I am currently a final year student at Loughborough University Design school, and have decided to spend my final year trying to help disabled parents (specifically wheelchair users). Because of this I have a questions (that I've listed below) and it would be great to see the range of answers, and use them to shape my project. The Question is:

1) what is the hardest thing for a disabled parent to do with their child?
- I've seen numerous threads about a wheelchair stroller being a very useful product, but is there another task (i.e. feeding, bathing etc) that could be made easier? the more information the better, all help is greatly appreciated!

thanks

Strokemommy12 Thu 07-Jan-16 19:44:45

So glad i found you. I have a 2.5yo i haven't been able to raise on my ownbc i am paralyzed on my left side. We are hoping to have a 2nd baby next year but i am in search of helpful tools and suggestions for carrying,diapering,backing one handed. My email is jennymason83@gmail.com please help!!

DEMANDcharity Tue 30-Aug-16 11:20:38

Hi Strokemommy12, If you're still looking for advice please contact our designers via our website www.DEMAND.org.uk You can read about how we can help in this recent news article : www.hemeltoday.co.uk/news/more-news/disabled-dad-can-now-take-his-new-baby-out-1-7513092

ClaireL90 Thu 16-Feb-17 21:29:04

This is a great thread- I have a similar disability to the lady above. I was looking for similar. I don't have any children yet but wanted some info

Earthmother1 Wed 05-Apr-17 20:38:59

Hi
I have been a single parent from the start. I am blind and hearing impaired. I also have spina bifida occulta, lumbar lordosis and scoliosis so I have a number of physical and practical limitations. My daughter, who is now 14, is fully able bodied. I'm often overwhelmed by the sheer pain and exhaustion I feel, both physical and emotional. I know my limitations frustrate my daughter. We have a wonderful relationship and this is the only thing that really causes a problem. I have friends who are parents but none with the limitations I have. I just wondered whether anyone here is in the same position?

FairytalesAreBullshit Mon 10-Apr-17 23:00:58

This thread is super old, but a wheelchair where you can adjust the height of your seat. But guessing it would cost a fortune.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now