Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnetters aren't necessarily qualified to help with medical problems. If you have any serious concerns, we would urge you to consult your GP.

Anybody here been diagnosed with aspergers as an adult woman?

(7 Posts)
SecretWineBox Sat 03-Oct-15 14:37:02

Was there any benefit in getting a diagnosis?

I probably am - done numerous online tests (including AQ) and they all suggest it.

Basically, I can't see the point in going through the rigmarole of getting an official diagnosis if it doesn't lead to improvements in my life.

Gumblebee Sat 07-Nov-15 00:17:05

Hi, there's a support thread for women with ASD in the Mumsnetters with SN topic.

Kpo58 Mon 16-Nov-15 21:17:20

Do you have a link to the thread, Gumblebee?

I think that I'm probably the same Secret. I'm wondering how I'm going to parent, if I can't understand how to empathise or understand the child or tell if the child looks ill. So many worries...

Gumblebee Mon 16-Nov-15 21:18:57

Here.

PhilPhilConnors Mon 16-Nov-15 21:25:59

Thread here
(It happened to be the last thing I C&P'd!

I had a private non-official diagnosis. For me, it's making sense of so,many things, and knowing that I'm not crap, there's a reason why I do things differently. Knowing that is better than going through my life feeling bad about myself.

As for being a parent, you'll find your way, and it's usually obvious when they're ill. I'm finding it more difficult having teenagers than babies.
They're so noisy, irrational and confusing. The baby and toddler stage was a doddle compared!

Kpo58 Mon 16-Nov-15 22:26:10

How do you know what to say to the child? So many things people say in everyday life (such as How are you, Great Seeing you, etc) just doesn't come naturally to me, if at all. Is there some sort of guide of things you should say?

PhilPhilConnors Mon 16-Nov-15 23:15:38

I find it very different with my own dc. Same with dh I suppose. They're "my people" and I feel comfortable with them.
I can be myself.
I don't know if it's like that for everyone though.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now