Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnetters aren't necessarily qualified to help with medical problems. If you have any serious concerns, we would urge you to consult your GP.

Should we get genetic tests to see if our children will become Deaf?

(4 Posts)
DeafSentence Sun 02-Mar-14 22:07:26

I'm hard of hearing and so is my Mum, we both started to go Deaf in our 30s.

Both my DS and DD have passed hearing tests - but we have been offered the option of having genetic tests on the children to see if they will go deaf too.

Has anyone else had genetic testing?

drivenfromdistraction Tue 04-Mar-14 08:49:22

I am also hard of hearing - a different cause to you.

My take on it would be that if your DC are likely to go completely deaf, then they would benefit from learning sign language as children (since adults learning it are never as proficient). So for that reason, I would probably do the genetic testing.

bouquetofpencils Wed 12-Mar-14 18:54:37

I am deaf from birth but never learned sign language. I wear hearing aids and lip read.
I think although it might be tough to find out, it's better to know and therefore be aware and prepare.
There is genetic research going on in my family, it doesn't change anything but knowledge is power.

bishbashboosh Wed 12-Mar-14 20:00:06

Hi, I don't have any experience of being deaf but I have a genetic condition and had my children tested

It helped us come to terms and plan and they don't know any different

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now