Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnetters aren't necessarily qualified to help with medical problems. If you have any serious concerns, we would urge you to consult your GP.

Should I be assessed for Aspergers?

(8 Posts)
ILoveAFullFridge Mon 13-Jan-14 13:00:43

I'm in my 40s, a married mum of 3 dc, being treated for depression. I've been depressed on-and-off throughout my life, only diagnosed and treated after dc1 was born and I went to pieces with PND.

I have concerns about my dc WRT ASD. I'm pretty sure one is, one probably is, and one probably isn't. I'm pretty sure I have ASD. I think dh may have as well. None have been diagnosed.

All are high-functioning. I think dh and dc1 have actually benefitted from all the positive aspects of ASD.

I have been offered a referral to be assessed for ASD. Should I go ahead? Will it be of any benefit to me or my family?

I worry about labels for the sake of labels. I worry about possible discrimination.

Does it make any difference having a diagnosis? What happens if I, believing that I have ASD, am diagnosed as not having it?

Please help me think this through.

lougle Mon 13-Jan-14 13:14:00

Were you offered a referral because you believe you have ASD, or has someone noticed features that they feel are likely to be ASD?

Will it make you feel better to have an 'answer' as to why you struggle with certain things?

I can't see any negatives of having a diagnosis, to be honest. It's not as if they're going to tattoo 'ASD' on your forehead, is it? smile

ILoveAFullFridge Tue 14-Jan-14 10:36:28

Both. I identified myself, and the therapist has noticed things.

I don't know whether there's any benefit in being formally diagnosed. Dh doesn't see any reason to go ahead with it, but he never likes to change the status quo. Which should'nt be surprising, as I'm pretty sure he's on the spectrum as well,

I'm really quite worried about being told "No, you don't have ASD." I fear that will pull the rug right out from under me. I feel comfortable seeing myself as Aspergian. It helps me make sense of my world. I don't want that taken away.

lougle Tue 14-Jan-14 11:15:47

If your therapist has noticed things, and you have noticed things, I suspect the very least you'd get is 'you don't meet the threshold but have many traits' and it's quite likely you'll get the diagnosis.

It can help you because then you are entitled to reasonable adjustments in the workplace, etc.

You've already realised that you need some confirmation that you find the things that you do, difficult for a reason.

Do it. Be brave smile

CCTVmum Wed 15-Jan-14 19:01:52

Hi ILoveFudge

What do you see are the positives to the diagnosis?
What do you see are the negatives of the diagnosis?

It is up to YOU no one else if you want to go for the assessment.

If the diagnosis is negative and not ASD how would you feel?

Do you think it may explain the deression? Or not fitting in?

I think it would answer a lot of questions for you personally?
If that be light bulb moment or empowerment etc then that is all good no?

ILoveAFullFridge Sun 26-Jan-14 21:22:00

Does it make any difference whether I think I have ASD, or someone else 'official' thinks I do? It certainly helps me to think of myself as ASD. I think I would like the tidiness of having it confirmed. I can't see any negatives to that.

What I fear is being told that I do not have ASD. Because I've managed to blunder my way through life so far, because I've learned about dealing with people from reading books about how to deal with people, from Mumsnet, from living with dh. Things that others seem to know, I have had to actively learn and practice. So I'm afraid they will mask what I'm really like.

And if I'm told that I don't have ASD, how will I be able to make sense of myself and my life?

HerGraciousMajTheBeardedPotato Sun 26-Jan-14 21:23:13

What does the assessment involve?

manyshadesofblack Wed 05-Feb-14 12:45:42

hi op. how are you? Have you had any more thoughts about being assessed? I saw my gp today about being assessed. He was very nice and supportive. He is going to write to the autism team to find out if they will assess me. It feels good to have made the first step towards assessment. I decided that I wanted assessed because of difficulties I have at work.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now