Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnetters aren't necessarily qualified to help with medical problems. If you have any serious concerns, we would urge you to consult your GP.

Help with post-operative care?

(3 Posts)
anon69 Mon 10-Oct-11 17:17:47

To cut a long story short, amd disabled mum of 3 special needs children, and have been waiting for major abdominal surgery for a very long time.

Currently receive direct payments from social services for my ongoing day to day needs, but following my urgery two weeks ago, am hitting a brick wall with post-op care.

I have help in place with the children, but nothing for me. Am unable to drive or lift for at least a month, and have frequent medical and physio appointments that I am unable to get to as I can neither use public transport nor afford taxis. Even the community transport service wants at least £20 for a round trip to the hospital, which I just don't have.

I would be grateful if anyone could give any further advice on where I can get some desparately needed help. As I understood, social care had a duty during post-op periods, but they are telling me not.

Thanks
J

flowerflo Mon 17-Oct-11 22:20:11

That sounds awful. I have no experience of this but have you tried asking your GP if they provide hospital transport? I also found this link although not sure if it will help. Hope you find a solution.

www.nhs.uk/nhsengland/Healthcosts/pages/Travelcosts.aspx

flowerflo Mon 17-Oct-11 22:24:13

www.nhs.uk/chq/Pages/1079.aspx?CategoryID=68&SubCategoryID=154

Also found this?

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: