Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnetters aren't necessarily qualified to help with medical problems. If you have any serious concerns, we would urge you to consult your GP.

cystic fibrosis and lack of immunoglobulin (iga) in 13 month old????

(4 Posts)
babybear5 Mon 04-Apr-11 21:55:44

Can anyone advice me..my 13 month old has been unwell for almost 7 months now with persistant cough, chest infections, loss of weight,. oral thrush and urine infections. Despite numerous trips to gp i still have no answers.
After yet another urine infection she was kept in childrens ward and because a doctor thought she was 'scrawny' (only weighs 15lb) they ran all kinds of tests. Immunoglobulin came back very low. This is found in breastmilk we were told and as i have breastfed on demand for 13 months surely this should be normal. They also want to do a sweat test so im thinking, with my limited medical knowledge, (im a midwife) that this is referring to cystic fibrosis...is their a link between cf and immuno deficiancy's.
I don't where i am going with this but after so many months could we be any nearer to a reason...can anyone talk me through this? Desperate to get her well again.
Have to say she was developing normally until 7th month...only now beginning to crawl etc at 13months cos she is well at moment and has energy. Has build up drinks cos dietician thinks the amount of antibiotics has destroyed immune system and that could be all it is???
Sorry long winded post smile

sneezecakesmum Tue 19-Apr-11 21:14:16

I can't offer any great insight I'm afraid, I think poor little DD needs to have a full array of tests now to rule out any of the various conditions that can cause these type of problems. These are obviously underway and I'm sure its going to be a very nail biting time for you. Just take each day at a time.

Does DD attend nursery? Sometimes little ones can be just overwhelmed with the number of viruses they meet with in shared child care situations.

On the other hand DD could just have been very unlucky, catching a cold virus, which led to a chest infection, treated with antibiotics which caused her to have thrush, which caused her to be off her food and drinks, became dehydrated enough to cause a urine infection, lose weight, need antibiotics for these infections, which gave her a bit of diarrhoea, which made her bottom sore and gave her thrush... and on and on in a vicious cycle knocking her immune system for six (do you see where I'm going with this!)
It could be she just needs time and a bit of sunshine to get better.

Anyway I wish you all the best with the tests, they will probably come back clear as she was well for half her little life (good sign!).

sneezecakesmum Tue 19-Apr-11 21:43:05

Is there any reason you posted this in parents with disabilities? I cant see anything relevant in the post, do you have a disability that you think DD may have? Or should this be in 'childrens health'?

mum0ftw0 Tue 19-Jul-11 23:51:36

Hello OP
Bless your daughter.

I also have IgA deficiency, it's a pain in the neck.

The dietician isn't trained in immuniology are they?
I'm very confused by it being suggested that antibiotics can cause it :-s

I'm exhausted, have had digestive tract infections for two years now, so can't really digest any food. Have been on a drip for vital vitimins and fluids a couple of times and it's constantly exhausting. (did I mention that?)

I didn't suffer with my lackof igA until aged 24+
so it seems to affect people at certain point in their life, but often has no symptoms. So hopefully the recurrent infections will die down for your daughter, and me.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now