Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnetters aren't necessarily qualified to help with medical problems. If you have any serious concerns, we would urge you to consult your GP.

deaf with baby

(5 Posts)
mrscrocoduck Sat 18-Sep-10 11:28:38

I'm only moderately deaf (I have otosclerosis and my hearing's deteriorated rapidly since having my first child) but since having a second baby I'm having trouble with hearing her at night despite her being next to my side of the bed.

I have 2 NHS hearing aids which I have to remove to sleep (a bad back means I can't lie on it all night). My question is how do others with hearing loss cope with this? My husband's doing the lion's share of night feeds and is shattered - he rarely wakes me although I've asked him to.

I'm also worried about him going away for the night. How do you cope alone at nights without hearing aids?

Hi, I'm not deaf (I'm blind) so maybe my idea is a bit of a strange one but how about using a baby monitor? If the flashing lights that come one when the baby cries won't alert you there are some that vibrate too.

you might get a bit of stick for keeping something that vibrates in the bed while your husband is away though

CMOTdibbler Wed 22-Sep-10 13:15:02

rnid have some monitors that vibrate

BionicEar Wed 13-Oct-10 21:14:47

Contact your local social service office - they should be able to sort you out with baby monitor, smoke alarm etc to alert you at night.

I would recommend Bellman system as when had DD the original system they gave me didn't pick her up crying til she was screaming blue murder but Bellman system was very efficent.

wolfhound Thu 16-Dec-10 15:15:36

You can get a baby monitor that attaches (or wirelessly transmits) to a vibrating pad under your pillow. Ditto for smoke alarm etc. Your local social service office should be able to help, otherwise have a look at the RNID website and shop. I think Bellman and similar companies also do a system where you can try out their system before you commit to it.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now