Talk

Advanced search

Type 1 Diabetic stopped pill to try and start a family

(9 Posts)
Elleobee Fri 03-Aug-18 13:32:28

Hi, have any diabetics noticed major changes to their blood sugar levels following stopping taking the pill? I'm having lots of low blood sugars all of a sudden. Thanks

CocteauTwins Sat 11-Aug-18 11:46:38

Very likely due to changes in your hormones. Are you under the pre conception team? They and your DSN should be able to advise you. In your position I would be doing a basal test as your insulin requirements have changed.

WaitingForSunday17 Wed 15-Aug-18 18:24:58

Yes this happened to me. I couldn’t understand it the first month I came off the pill. I was eating and eating and my sugars would go up a little and then drop again.
It was ovulation for me that did it. The two or three days preceding ovulation I dropped super low. In the end I ended up on an insulin pump.
My total daily dose is 18-22 units a day but in the week before ovulation it is 14-16u. Quite a difference proportionally.
So yes it could be your hormones. Absolutely.

Elleobee Wed 15-Aug-18 18:37:42

Thanks both for the advice and glad to hear I'm not the only one that was finding this a nightmare. I think I've now ovulated and although my control is good it's starting to spike again a bit. So I think I'm similar to @WaitingForSunday17😊. I'm on the insulin pump which is brilliant for making small changes. Thanks a million 😊

WaitingForSunday17 Wed 15-Aug-18 18:40:07

Yes it was hopeless trying to sort it out with a background 24 hour acting insulin. I had nights where I was up drinking litres of orange juice because although my cycles are fairly regular I can’t predict the exact hour at which the hormones will suddenly drop away!
The pump has made my life easier although I still get lows around ovulation and highs the latter half of the month. Definitely more insulin resistant the second half of the month.
Prior to going on the pill I never had this problem so not really sure what changed!

Elleobee Wed 15-Aug-18 18:44:04

Diabetes can be so confusing! I was thinking I was cured when I stopped the pill a few weeks ago ha! Wishful thinking 🙄. I must admit that on my worst day where I had about 6 back to back hypos and went through a bottle of full fat coke, it was glorious compared to the diet stuff! I think I'll add in another pump basal pattern to cover the first half of the month if I see the same patterns next month 😊

Oblomov18 Wed 15-Aug-18 18:47:18

Wishing you all the luck. I only went on the pump for the first time when actually pregnant, so can't advise, and was never in the pill, but wishing you all the very best.

Elleobee Wed 15-Aug-18 18:51:48

Thank you @Oblomov18 😊 it feels like a waiting game just now! Very exciting!

ETPhoneHome1471 Sat 18-Aug-18 16:30:51

Good luck! Good to hear your already on a pump and not pens. Having Diabetes is like trying to keep a big fiery dragon in a cage, every once in a while it breaks free and wreaks havoc.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: