Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications, experience, or professional qualifications of anyone posting on Mumsnet Talk and cannot be held responsible for any advice given on the site. If you have any serious medical concerns we would urge you to consult your GP.

Prevention program

(10 Posts)
ApollO88 Tue 06-Jun-17 16:15:41

Has anyone got experience with the NHS diabetes prevention programme?
I've been signed up and would like to know what to expect

ImperialBlether Tue 06-Jun-17 16:17:44

Something about it here.

ApollO88 Tue 06-Jun-17 17:35:37

Thank you I've already found the website but was hoping maybe to get some feed back from anyone who's been on the programme so I know what to expect

FishwifeOfBath Tue 21-Nov-17 13:43:20

Hello Apoll088 - did you do the programme? I've just signed up and I'm wondering what to expect. The online and print info doesn't say what actually happens.

Has anyone done it who can share experience?

Chchchchangeabout Tue 21-Nov-17 13:45:03

What do you need to do to be eligible?

duriandurian Tue 21-Nov-17 13:49:37

Was at an interesting conference last week where diabetes UK (who I think are the ones providing the basic programme) gave a talk.
Their website has a big chat forum like this site but diabetes and lifestyle focused.
They seem v corporate but had impressive stats on how many people completed the LCHF eating plan. Looks like NHS are combining it with group and personal support and exercise which is best practice.

FishwifeOfBath Tue 21-Nov-17 14:26:50

Chchchch: I was referred because my HB-whatever-glucose (still new to this) was in the prediabetic range. I was tested as part of an age-related screening programme.

Durian: thanks v much, good to hear the programme is do-able. I (possibly not helpfully) did a Cochrane database search after posting above. Nothing recent but a pre-2010 review said diet/exercise gave 37% relative risk reduction in diabetes incidence. The literature for the programme says type 2 diabetes is preventable more than that review suggests. I guess it's too soon to judge what prevention success the programme has, so they can't be expected to report.

Until I start it, be great to hear what kind of diet (low fat, low carbs, high GI, etc) they follow. I'm confused! Except if I need to lose weight I need top eat less. Full stop. Oh dear.

duriandurian Tue 21-Nov-17 14:50:51

It essentially looked like the Dr. Michael Mosley Blood Sugar diet in all but name. Even endorsing doctor (David Unwin) was the same. Wanted to ask them about that but ran out of time for questions.

duriandurian Tue 21-Nov-17 14:51:24

So buy the book or app or join the BSD thread on here! Good luck!

FishwifeOfBath Tue 21-Nov-17 16:21:07

Brilliant - I'll do that. Thanks very much once more.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now