Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications, experience, or professional qualifications of anyone posting on Mumsnet Talk and cannot be held responsible for any advice given on the site. If you have any serious medical concerns we would urge you to consult your GP.

Late diagnosis of gestational diabetes

(2 Posts)
Samg299 Wed 24-May-17 18:38:21

Saw my consultant today with a weeks worth of blood sugar readings. I was asked to do this as my baby had had a sudden acceleration in her growth up to above 90th centile and too much water.
My sugars over ab hour after eating have been between 8 and 10 i am 34 weeks abd today consultant diagnosed gestational diabetes after a normal gtt at 26 weeks.
Anyone been diagnosed late? What can they do to treat it in such a short time? My blood pressure is also elevated so they are on aboyt looking at 37 week delivery if these levels cannot be controlled i may have to wait at least a week to see a diabetic consultant so any experiences at all? Will they treat monitor and take us to term or will they just cut losses n get baby out at 37 weeks? I am very concerned about either option

JoWithABow Thu 25-May-17 08:41:33

I'm not an expert but I recon they'll give you metformin and see how that goes for a week or so, or insulin if needed. Then at 37 weeks they'll review and take a decision then. I don't think right at this point they will tell you for sure that they will deliver early as I think they prefer to wait until 39 weeks with GD ideally. I guess that's if you BP is ok, if not then they will just have to monitor that and take a decision if it gets too high or persists. Hope they give you more of an idea at your appointment
Good luck

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now