Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications, experience, or professional qualifications of anyone posting on Mumsnet Talk and cannot be held responsible for any advice given on the site. If you have any serious medical concerns we would urge you to consult your GP.

DAFNE course for relatives

(6 Posts)
AberdeenAngusina Sat 20-May-17 19:18:04

My sister has Type 1. She has asked our other sister and me to do a DAFNE course. Our other sister lives in the same small town as her, sees her regularly, and has agreed. I live 150 miles away, and usually only see her as part of a family get together. I don't see the point in doing a DAFNE course. My sister is upset that I am being unsupportive.

I know this isn't AIBU, but - am I being unreasonable to refuse? What would a geographically distant relative gain from doing a DAFNE course?

Is there anything else I could do to show that I'm supportive, without having to use up some of my holidays to go on a DAFNE course?

HallowedMimic Sat 20-May-17 19:21:08

I can't imagine why your sister thinks either of you should attend?

What earthly use would it be?

gingercat02 Sat 20-May-17 19:24:53

I teach DAFNE and I have never known relatives to attend a whole course.They usually come just for hypos and sick day rules

AberdeenAngusina Sat 20-May-17 20:24:33

Our other sister helps out if our diabetic sister needs medical treatment, and she'd be the next of kin if diabetic sister was in hospital. So I can see some point in her doing the course. But I am 150 miles away - at least a three hour drive and a four hour drive if I get caught in commuter traffic.

gingercat, would there be any benefit in me doing the hypos and sick day rules part of the course? How long would that take? Also, could I do it locally, or would I have to do the course that's local to my sister?

gingercat02 Sat 20-May-17 20:34:30

You usually bring someone who lives with you for the hypo/sick days sessions. No idea if you can attend a whole course or if you can go without a person with diabetes. It has honestly never happened in my experience of 10 years on these programmes

AberdeenAngusina Sat 20-May-17 20:56:25

Thanks, gingercat, that's very helpful. I wonder if her local DAFNE course knows that she's asking geographically distant relatives to go along? Perhaps she's misunderstood?

It's not even as though she visits us often; she doesn't drive further than 50 miles from her home, and public transport between her small town and mine takes ages. Her last visit here was in 2015, and she's not planning to visit this year. When we see each other, it's because I've driven to see both my sisters.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now