Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications, experience, or professional qualifications of anyone posting on Mumsnet Talk and cannot be held responsible for any advice given on the site. If you have any serious medical concerns we would urge you to consult your GP.

Starting the Newcastle Diet...

(9 Posts)
MrsWooster Fri 19-May-17 11:45:21

Started yesterday after breakfast at 105.2kg. I've got a hba1c test today to track it.
So far so Good! Im using exante products as meal replacement and the almond vanilla shake was ok- quite marzipan y. The veg stir fry mixed with the laksa soup mix would have been OK if I'd added a LOT more garlic, chili and ginger. This morning's cherry berry shake was properly nasty- like thick old skool cough mixture. Live and learn.
Any hot tips, companions, advice are welcome.
Wish me luck.

MrsWooster Sat 20-May-17 10:30:15

Looks like this is more of a blog, which is also good! 104.5 yesterday, 103.4 today. It's water, due to glycogen uptake thing but still pleasing. Stir fried mushrooms and veg was very nice last night - LOTS of garlic ginger chilli and it tasted like something I'd eat in real life, albeit with noodles and or meat... tomato and basil soup was undrinkable, even with desperate flavours chucked in. Thick, dusty weird, like old fashioned cupasoup before they got good. Chocolate shake for breakfast was ok - will try liquidising with ice to make frappe which will help with all the shakes, I think excepted cherry which is unredeemable.
No symptoms other than perfectly normal levels of grumpiness , tiredness and general malaise.

MrsWooster Sun 21-May-17 09:32:17

102.9kg this morning. I must find my blood tester kit and try and track levels as well. Tomato sauce, with some veg, meant I didn't feel like quite such a pariah when the dc were having red pasta for dinner. I'm desperate not to pass on any toxic diet messages to them so am framing this as a medical process that the doctor has designed to get rid of the diabetes - which has the benefit of being true, though I won't be bereft when I send the 'plus sizes' to the chazzer.
Thought I'd try to vary textures a bit so experimented with mashed carrot and spices, with a tsp of soaked chia seeds to bind, baked to make crunchy nuggets, or something with a bit of crunch. Not an unmitigated success but not actively unpleasant. Ice frappe-ingredients definitely improves the breakfast shake and I'm adding a tsp of linseeds in order not to become a stranger to the toilet.
Generally feel fine, though distinctly short tempered, and weirdly not hungry although years of disordered eating mean that hungry isn't a very familiar feeling. I've found that I haven't had all the available shakes each day: one yesterday then tomato/veg lunch then carrot tea. This is very low calorie indeed but no obvious sign of the necessary ketosis- sugar puff smelling wee etc. 46.5 days to go and it will be very interesting to see the comparative hba1c. I had a liver scan a couple of months ago (apropos something else) which showed the level and location of the visceral fat and I think my GP might be sufficiently intrigued to wangle another one to identify the changes...

MrsWooster Mon 22-May-17 13:53:43

102.3 this morning. Still no headaches or noticeable other symptoms apart from very short temperedness and I am definitely lacking energy though; the ketosis doesn't seem to have kicked in... I will step back on the linseed as I may have overdone the anti-constipation measures!
Vegetable soup last night, with what turned out to be too much vegetable stock powder, made a nice change from the blandness as did two tsp of instant coffee in the oversweet caramel latte shake that I got as a freebie. Added another tsp in this morning's chocolate shake which made a nice sort of mocha effect. I may experiment with tsp of cocoa in a coconut shake if and when I get some.
So far, it's not as bad as I thought it would be. The shakes are over sweet and or very bland, ditto the soups. There's lots of potential for flavour in stir fries and soups and I will try some Aldi cauliflower rice my hopes are not high... with roasted tom's, peppers and garlic etc which should wake me up.
If it gets rid of the diabetes, it'll be worth the half hour watching the dc eat KFC while I cried inside.

MrsWooster Tue 23-May-17 08:32:24

102.7! WTAF?? It's not FAIR!!! Chocolate coffee shake for late breakfast, veg soup for tea and a few sips of chocolate shake for supper (note to self: don't add hot water to what is meant to be a cold shake mixture in misguided attempt to make hot choc).
I assume it is all part of the starvation mode transition to ketosis but it's hard to see a gain on such a low intake and, without tmi, a significant am9unt of time spent in the loo...
Still no symptoms other than terminal narkiness but that is a major personality trait at the best of times. Nothing to do but carry on carrying on.

Cheesecake53 Tue 23-May-17 08:56:18

Hey, I have the same - that up and down. But if I interpret your data rightly, the trend is down, isn't it? I think this is the most important and try not to let little gains discourage you smile

MrsWooster Tue 23-May-17 14:20:39

After a slightly brisker than usual school run, I'd better add light-headedness to the symptoms.

Cheesecake53 Tue 23-May-17 14:31:29

Perfect! I am in eat mode again sad

MrsWooster Tue 23-May-17 17:24:40

Ta. I have resisted the temptation to have all the some chocolate to cheer myself up. How far into 8 weeks are you?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now