Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications, experience, or professional qualifications of anyone posting on Mumsnet Talk and cannot be held responsible for any advice given on the site. If you have any serious medical concerns we would urge you to consult your GP.

Suspected gestational diabetes?!?!

(2 Posts)
Samg299 Thu 18-May-17 15:07:39

Ok so i had my gtt at 26 weeks came back normal. I have no had an easy pregnancy one thing after another and plenty of admissions... alot for aggrivated asthma leading to ALOT of steroids!
I went into the maternity unit today with 3 days of reduced movements at 33weeks we were sent for a scan and it was found baby has very rapidly grown in the last 4 weeks is now over the 90th centile and the fluid level around baby had tripled so now over average. They are concerned that my steroids have lead to gestational diabetes and supplied me with a blood sugar monitor to keep an eye on my levels at fasting 1st thing then 1 hour after every meal but noone gave us any indication of what we were looking for whats normal what isnt i have consultant in a week to show results too but for my own understanding what is normal?
After my meal last night my levels were 11.8 and after lunch today 8.6 both higher than anything ive ever seen before and at fasting ive had 4.6 and 6.2
Do they let you go full term if you have diabetes and a baby with accelerated growth?!

RebornSlippy Thu 18-May-17 15:11:35

Fasting levels should be between 3.5 and 5 and post meals should be <7. Have you had input from a dietician? If you are not able to get control of your blood glucose, they will likely start you on something like oral metformin.

Realistically you will be offered induction from 38 weeks. Particularly if your baby is measuring large.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now