Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications, experience, or professional qualifications of anyone posting on Mumsnet Talk and cannot be held responsible for any advice given on the site. If you have any serious medical concerns we would urge you to consult your GP.

Could this be type 2 diabetes?

(5 Posts)
MaitlandGirl Sat 15-Apr-17 11:44:26

I know that no one can (or indeed should) diagnose over the internet but as I have to pay to see the GP I was wondering if this sounds like something I should see the GP about.

I'm thirsty almost all the time. I wake up every morning with a very dry mouth and my lips sort of gummy and sticky - but I smoke so understand it can be a side effect of that. I drink 2l of plain water each day plus mugs of tea.

I'm up every couple of hours in the night needing the loo - but I drink about 8 cups of tea a day so again, it could be that. I've switched to decaf but that hasn't helped.

I struggle really badly when I eat too much sugar too late in the day - it feels as if I've got something crawling under my skin. I've no idea how much is too much or even how late is too late as it changes on a daily basis.

I'm about 20kgs overweight, early 40s with no history of diabetes (type 1 or 2) in the immediate family.

Does anyone have any ideas?

Nessie71 Fri 28-Apr-17 10:19:32

Think you should make an appointment at the doctors and get it checked out.

JaneEyre70 Fri 28-Apr-17 10:37:22

Yes def worth a GP appointment and blood test.

RamsayBoltonsConscience Sun 30-Apr-17 18:32:27

Definitely sounds suspect- how are your energy levels?

Nessie71 Sun 30-Apr-17 18:54:36

Please tell me you have gone to the gp!! If it is diabetes it can be fatal if left untreated.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now