Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications, experience, or professional qualifications of anyone posting on Mumsnet Talk and cannot be held responsible for any advice given on the site. If you have any serious medical concerns we would urge you to consult your GP.

Type 2 party food for Sunday- please help!

(10 Posts)
superbean Fri 31-Mar-17 18:46:41

Hi

I'm having a tea party here at the weekend for my son's birthday, and I've just found out a family member has been diagnosed with this.

Was only planning on doing birthday cake and a few scones- what can I do for her? I found some recipes for roasted chickpeas and a savoury popcorn but is there anything I can buy ready made that's ok? Can she have humous if I do crudités?

Any advice appreciated

Thanks.

Gramgram Sat 02-Sep-17 02:50:58

Avoid carbs. Chicken drumsticks, just season them no coatings. Hummus with celery, cucumber and carrots. You can make wraps with lettuce leaves. Yoghurt rather than ice cream.

Gingernaut Sat 02-Sep-17 02:53:29

Cheese.
Vegetables (not potatoes)
Something meaty perhaps, but not sausages due to rusk content.

niccyb Wed 20-Sep-17 22:21:44

All diabetes patients can have anything and everything in moderation including ice cream. It’s about making choices and making allowances. Diabetes Uk has lots of information and recipes on there including cakes! They do not need to avoid carbs especially if they are elderly and this is backed up by NICE guidelines.

whichwaynow82 Wed 20-Sep-17 22:22:42

@niccyb carbs are a nightmare for diabetics!!

gingercat02 Wed 20-Sep-17 22:25:38

It's lovely of you to care, but it's a party everyone is allowed a day off. Offer some healthier choices if you want but don't make "diabetic food"

Oceangirl82 Wed 20-Sep-17 22:32:38

Totally agree everything in moderation. Diabetes is tough - getting the balance right, I've been type one for over 29 years but it is manageable and you can eat fairly 'normally'.

'Carbs are a nightmare for diabetics' sounds like something the media would say to panic everyone 😅

niccyb Wed 20-Sep-17 22:34:36

I know all about carbs. If a person is on certain medicine or is on some insulin, they will need carbs to stop their blood glucose levels plummeting. If they are elderly, the focus isn’t about diet as the damage to the vessels and organs has been done. It’s about keeping them safe from hypoglycaemia which in turn could lead to falls and Broken limbs. Diabetes Uk has a range of information including carbsand recipes. They do not need to avoid them especially someone who is elderly.

Oblomov17 Wed 20-Sep-17 22:55:07

Diabetes UK are currently reviewing low carb recommendations. Only because there isn't enough evidence or long term review of the data yet, to actively encourage it.
But are currently supportive.

But for a party. It is a treat!! Moderation. A few dips and vegetables etc sound lovely.

T1 for 40 odd years and married to a T2 for 15, so do have some experience.

NachoAddict Wed 20-Sep-17 23:12:24

I would do chicken legs or wings, salad and cheeses with crackers that they can choose wether to have, cold meats, popcorn, boiled eggs maybe. Quiche and they could choose to leave the crust.

Ds has T1 so we tend to try and choose low carb options as it is a pain to bolus without weighing food but I would rather run him a bit high as a one off than risk hin going low.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now