Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications, experience, or professional qualifications of anyone posting on Mumsnet Talk and cannot be held responsible for any advice given on the site. If you have any serious medical concerns we would urge you to consult your GP.

New research -regenerating pancreas - so which foods are low in calories and protein but high in unsaturated fat?

(4 Posts)
reup Fri 24-Feb-17 06:32:07

There's been new research into fasting for diabetes and regenerating the pancreas. It does something different to the Newcastle research into tyoe2 diabetes a few years ago as it recreates a feast and famine type diet.

Fasting diet 'regenerates diabetic pancreas'
www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-39070183

But I can't think which food qualify as low calorie, low protein, low carbohydrate but high in unsaturated fat.

E.g.salmon is high in protein and nuts are high in calories.

Would it just mean tiny portions of those sort of foods?

Any ideas?

bunny85 Wed 01-Mar-17 21:22:01

That's very interesting. It's not the first time that I read that strict diet can cure diabetes. I'm willing to try it. Atm I'm still breastfeeding my toddler son, but as soon as we stop this is the first thing on my mind. Are you going to try as well? Have you got a doctor who supports the idea and is willing to supervise? Sorry I have no advice re: portions and food which is what you ask for, but watching with interest as it's absolutely amazing if it can work, if anything can work to cure it, would be a dream come true.

Applebite Fri 17-Mar-17 18:25:59

How would that work with insulin resistance though? I get how it could help T1, where the pancreas isn't producing insulin, but if T2 is still making it, and it's failing to get into the cells, would it help? confused

LaGatoteca Fri 17-Mar-17 18:31:25

Quinoa?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now